blank + blank = blank

"Blank plus blank equals blank. First card to be read on top." Delilah read her favorite black card aloud. Her friends groaned in chorus.

"I hate these." Gigi rolled her eyes.

"We've skipped every two-card black card tonight! Please let me have this," Dee said to her friends. They reluctantly agreed.

Delilah gathered the cards together and began reading them aloud. Clearly some of her friends knew their audience while it was apparent that others did not. "Alcoholism plus daddy issues equals a salty surprise." Dee read off the cards. It didn't matter what the other cards said. This was personal; whoever picked these cards knew Delilah and wanted to win. "First of all, fuck you. Second of all, whose cards are these?"

Danny broke into a big smile. "Thank a-you," he said as he took them. Dee didn't let go at first, so he had to really pull to get his winning black card.

"Are you fuckin' serious, dude?" Owen snapped. "You didn't even read any of the rest of the cards."

"Don't need to," Dee shrugged. "A salty surprise always wins."

Danny held his card like an Oscar. "I'd like to thank Delilah's dad—"

"No, it fucking doesn't." Owen glared at Delilah. "You just think it's funny because of Redacted."

"Owen, it's just a game, let's—" Luke tried to intervene, but Delilah spoke over him, louder than necessary.

"It's not fucking funny," Dee exclaimed. "It wins because it's fucking offensive."

"Offensive to who? Spanish nuns?" Owen snapped.

"Just shut up and let's keep playing."

"Bitch." Owen muttered under his breath.

"Asshole," Dee threw back at him.

"Pussy."

"Cocksucker."

"Cunt."

Delilah's head snapped up as she made perfect eye contact with Owen. The room was silent. Each of her friends knew how Dee felt about that word. She hated hearing it, and she despised being called it. She couldn't even stand to use it during dirty talk. Tears welled up in her eyes. It felt like she was punched in the stomach and could throw up if he continued.

"I fuckin' hate you," she whispered. She discarded the rest of the cards to her right and left the room, headed straight back to her dorm.

"Way to go, asshole." Michael slapped Owen upside the head. "You know she hates that word."

"I'll go fix this," Luke sighed, getting to his feet.

Owen beat him to it. The name calling had really gotten to him. It was his favorite part of the game. "No," he said, trying to look apologetic. "I'll go. It's my mess to clean up. I need to tell her I'm sorry."

Luke let Owen pass him and the friends tried to continue playing the game despite the heavy awkward tension. Owen walked down the hall, scanning the numbers on the doors until he found Delilah and Gigi's room. He knocked on the door. No answer.

"Dee, let me in." He tried the doorknob and the door opened. She clearly wanted this. "Dee, c'mon. Let's say we made up and go back and join our friends."

"Leave me alone." She said, though it muffled through her pillow.

Owen walked over to her bed and tried to pull her out. It was no use. He knew what would get her out of bed. "My cards were way better than that."