Chapter 4 | grand plan

With the second Kira prevented, now L needed to get his hands on Light's death note, all without revealing he had a cosmic entity on his side. You had a few ideas how this could work, but you'd need L's expertise to polish up the final plan.

"End goal, you need that death note. I did some digging, he got it while in school. Literally at school, so just rewinding you to that exact moment to pick up the book yourself is a no go. A 25 year old man in a high-school who isn't a staff member would raise a lot of eyebrows" you began.

"I press the charges, not catch them thank you very much" L replied.

"Plus, if you pick up the note before he does that would make YOU the owner and the shinigami along with all the bad ju-ju the book carried would be attached to you. Not good. But, getting the book off him later in the case may be possible"

L didn't feel like being the owner of a death note, even if he wouldn't use it to kill, having a shinigami follow him wouldn't be fun for him. That, and it was a risk to his life. He JUST managed to dodge death, he wasn't taking another life risking move again. Since Ryuk had told Light that he would be the one to kill him when the jig was up, the same thing would probably happen to L. Not good.

"In order to secure conviction I need the weapon, proof the weapon works, proof it was in Light's possession. So security footage, fingerprints, handwriting- anything that solidly connects Light to Kira. Ideally I'd have a confession too, but knowing him that'll never happen" L explained.

"Hm... I think finding a legitimate excuse to get a search warrant that leads to finding the death note is the best option for making it as believable as possible. So you'd need some kind of evidence to suggest Light is hiding something other than just... those fucking porn mags he has"

L cringed at the reminder, that was an awkward night watching the cameras with Lights own father. L still got second hand embarrassment thinking about the way Light flipped though them like it was an IKEA catalog. Man was gay as hell if he wasn't getting off to bikini models on sight as a hormone filled teenage boy. That whole night felt icky, but L needed evidence he was a killer so he had to just suck it up and sit through it.

"Don't remind me..." L muttered.

You pulled up a search bar in on your laptop, typing <Light Yagami> and hitting enter. The screen on the wall cut to Light and what he was currently doing right now, which was sitting at his desk in front of a physics text book clearly studying for those exams. You could see Ryuk bored out of his mind hanging around the room, but L couldn't.

"Any ideas? Anything sketchy looking in there?" You asked.

L scanned the room, all he could see were textbooks and the laundry basket. It was now L noticed just now bland and empty Lights room was. No posters, photos or art. No decor, or trinkets. Just textbooks, a few basic video games and his school stuff. Did this man have no interests or hobbies? Not even a childhood sentimental toy or his favourite show on DVD could be seen. He was so... boring.

"It's like an IKEA showroom... so empty and boring..." L sighed.

"Your room is a bit empty too" you replied.

"At least I have some personality"

L's personal room back at wammys may be a little empty, but it had signs of life. Some childhood drawings still on the walls, a star patterned weighted blanket on the bed, some tech he'd taken apart and put back together but better on the desk. He actually had some kind of personality outside of being a detective. His love for sweet things, his hobby of dissecting technology, a favourite show and singer. He liked art, music and such. Even amusement parks amused him, as long as he had some headphones to block out the loud crowds. L may be monotonous, but he was a person.