Three - Alone or Lonely?

Tw - indications of death; slight panic attacks

February 25th 2023

The emergency alert came through just before the call did.

It was so... sudden. Everything. The voice on the phone, the alerts, the panic-stricken notifications from various apps. All while he had been sitting on his gaming chair, waiting on his PC to upload a YouTube video. He had been through too many apps on his phone, none of them seeming appealing to him for the last fifteen minutes.

Warnings were put out weeks ago, but we're evidently not taken seriously. 'Cause who believes there's suddenly a threat of zombies without real evidence? Or seen with your own eyes.

So when Pezzy picked up the call from Droid, all this thought changed in an instant.

"Pezzy. It's real." Droid cried.

Pezzy froze. That voice was too real, too full of emotion to be a prank.

"Pezzy, listen to me. Y-you need to pack anything you can. Anything that's useful. Grab anything. Okay?"

"Wait- I'm-I'm confused." Pezzy said hesitantly. His breathing started to become uneven.

"Listen to me," Droid choked desperately, crying clearing evident in his voice. "Find the biggest bag you can, pack anything. Water, clothes, food, flashlights, weapons, bandages. They're here, Pezzy. They're- they're-" Droid choked again, a sob escaping his lips this time.

"Droid.." Pezzy breathed, not wanting to believe it. It's not true. None of this was happening.

"It's real." Droid whispered. "And I need you to focus. Please. My- um." He paused, letting out a small hiccuped cry, but quickly started again. "I've already packed, I got my stuff with me. Anything I could find that might be useful. I got- I got a few clothes. Uh. I have knives, food, water-"

"Where are you right now?" Pezzy said, snapping out of his thoughts, interrupting Droid. His heartbeat reverberated in his ears.

There wasn't a response for a moment. "I'm in a nearby convenience store. I- Pezzy I don't know where my family went.. and my dad- my- he's-, he got-." His breath quickened as he tried to say what was on his mind, but it only resulted in him working more on trying to breathe, to contain his uncontrolled gasps, than trying to talk. Pezzy quickly cut him off.

"Droid, chill, hey, you don't have to tell me now. I'll pack anything okay?"

"Okay." Droid said quietly, his gasps emitted with every quick inhale. Faintly, Pezzy heard commotion in the background of the grainy audio.

He got up and rushed to the door of his closet. "Are you safe? Are you hurt?"

"Um, I'm just a-a l-little scratched up, a-a-and really shaky. Uh- I'm- I'm hiding in an extra room of the store. It's li-like a conference room or something.. I don't kn-know-"

Pezzy cut him off again, trying to keep his own panic at a minimum. "It's okay, as long as you're sure you're safe." He was met with silence, apart from Droid's heavy, uneven breathing. He was quite literally ripping apart his closet, looking for a backpack he knew he had, while he muttered soft words to Droid, in hopes to calm him down.

"Pezzy.. my phone.. it isn't charged much." Droid whispered. Pezzy deflated.

A few moments of silence passed as he resumed his search for the backpack, and thought of what to say.

"Do you have your charger? Look around, are there any outle-"

"No.. No. I- I don't have my charger.. it all happened so fast I didn't think to-" He trailed off after beginning to ramble once again.