Watts_Writes

Enter the enchanting world of Watts_Writes, mistress of fantasy, romance, and paranormal stories. With a love for all things magical and a writing style filled with witty wordplay, evocative storytelling, and a touch of whimsy.

What inspired you to become a writer? When did you first start writing?

I've been a writer my entire life! As soon as I learned how to hold a pencil, I wrote stories. I've always loved getting lost in a tale, and being able to create my own just felt natural and right. I actually have a degree in playwriting and work as a writer for my regular day job. So when I say I've been writing my entire life, I really mean it.

How would you describe your writing style and voice? What sets it apart from other writers in your genre?

I would describe my writing style as casually devastating. I love a voice that's dramatic, sarcastic, and commanding. I love witty wordplay—there's nothing better to me than a great one-liner. But I also love a style that's evocative and emotional; I want to take readers on an emotional journey, not just an adventure.

What do you believe are the most important elements of a successful story?

This is such a tough question to answer because it's so dependent on the story. For me, I get lost in characters and relationships, so that's what I tend to focus on as a writer. But great description and world-building are important. You need rising action, moments of tension, and, of course, purpose—the story has to have something to say.

Can you discuss a time when you received constructive criticism about your writing, and how you incorporated it into your work?

I receive constructive criticism all the time on my writing! I just recently had a friend point out that my sentences are often very long (and they are !) and that finding ways to cut them up at times can help with the flow and pacing. They were absolutely right. Sometimes, it's hard to see what your work needs when you're knee-deep in it. Having people provide feedback can improve your writing immensely. Of course, the feedback needs to be constructive.

How do you approach world-building in your stories? What techniques do you use to create immersive and believable settings?

Okay, what I'm about to say will be so gross to some writers, but I genuinely don't really think about it at the moment. I just kind of write. I always start with a tentative outline in my mind and then just see where it goes. 

With Shadow Touched, I knew that I was going to be playing in a medieval-type setting but that I didn't want to be confined by the rules around this kind of fantasy setting. I also knew I wanted a world where magic abounds, but it's so ingrained in the world that people don't even really think about it; they fail to understand where it comes from and what toll it takes. One thing I firmly believe in, though, is writing how people speak. I try to avoid stilted dialogue that feels unnatural.

Can you tell us about a particularly challenging scene or chapter in one of your stories, and how you tackled it?

Well, without giving anything away, I will say that there's a fight scene in Shadow-Touched that I put off writing for a long time because I found the idea of writing it really daunting. It involves swords, and despite reading a lot of fantasy, I have never written anything that incorporates swordplay, so I had to research beforehand. There is A LOT of skill and history behind swords. It was overwhelming trying to take it in and then use what I learned to create a compelling and tense scene. I gave myself a few days to research. I had to limit myself, or else I knew I'd end up down a rabbit hole. After that, I sat with the information for a bit and thought about how to apply what I'd learned to the characters and how they would use their unique skills as swordsmen. I think it turned out great!

How do you stay motivated and productive while writing? What strategies do you use to overcome writer's block or other obstacles?

Truthfully, I don't always stay motivated while writing, and I've learned that's okay. Sometimes, you have to spend time away from work and recharge—it helps keep things fresh.

When it comes to writer's block, I always want to talk it out. We tend to think of writing as a solo endeavor. Still, in my experience, my writing is at its best when I collaborate with people I trust. I talk a lot to my friends or my husband when I start to get stuck. I've tried using writing prompts, but I find being able to vocalize my thoughts is the most helpful.

What do you think are the benefits and challenges of writing on Wattpad? How has the platform influenced your writing and career?

I think the biggest benefit of Wattpad is that it's a place designed for readers and writers. People here love to do both, which means you know you're in the right place if you like to do either.

I think the biggest challenge I've encountered on Wattpad is just getting people to read my story! There's a lot of content on the site, and a lot of what gets promoted has been around for a long time; it's hard to break through as a newer writer and one writing within a specific genre. The book clubs run by independent mods have been a great help in getting some eyes on the story.

What are your goals for your writing career, both in the short term and long term?

Ooh, I like this question! Short term, I'm just genuinely hoping I can get some more readers. I'm in the process of doing my first round of edits on Shadow Touched, and I'm very slowly creating a draft for book 2. Long term, I'd love to be published (who wouldn't?!) But most importantly, I just want to create stories I love and that others love, too.

What advice would you give to other emerging writers who are looking to improve their craft and build their readership?

First and foremost—don't give up! It's easy to get discouraged, but writing, like anything else, takes time and practice. If you're writing on Wattpad, it's really important to join a book club. It's a great way to meet other writers, to get feedback and to learn. I also think it's important to not get hung up on rules. The best writers break the rules all of the time. Just because something isn't how everyone else does it doesn't mean it's wrong. That's how you develop a style specific to you. It's just important to remember that your style won't be for everyone, and that's okay, too.

Join us in celebrating the extraordinary talent of Watts as our featured author in this series. Take a moment to immerse yourself in the pages of her imaginative narratives and let her words weave their magic around you.

If you aspire to be featured as well, keep honing your craft and submit your work to our reading lists. We are continuously on the lookout for exceptional books that will captivate and inspire our readers.