II

The bus shook as it drove down the rain-spotted grounds, each tiny vibration running through Taehyun's body with an unsettling charge. He sat towards the back with his head rested against the window, which shuddered even more than the bus itself and was clouded with the condensation of icy air.

Taehyun brought his index finger up to the window and left various lines of different structures in its wake. Water gathered on his finger pad, the excess dripping down and destroying the smiley face and wispy hair he'd drawn.

Taehyun sighed and adjusted in his seat, exhausted eyes wandering around the desolate bus.

The old man from the bus stop was sat in the seats up front and his cane rested at his side while he used a stanchion for support instead. Like Taehyun's, his body jerked when the bus went over a speed bump, sent forward before violently lurched back. His back collided with the seat with an aching strength capable of bruising.

Taehyun winced for him, sympathetic for the unsettling man despite the nerves that built in him from their brief encounter.

Perhaps it was his concern misplaced. He'd been on edge since his dinner that evening and was missing a physical form to place it in.

The man hadn't done anything wrong as far as Taehyun was aware so it was a reasonable explanation. He also hadn't looked in Taehyun's direction since they got on the bus so his lingering fears dissipated long ago.

Taehyun glanced over his shoulder, spotting the guy who'd been on the bus longer than both the man and him.

This man had his head tipped back at an awkward angle and his lips parted, soft snores escaping his throat. Occasionally, when the vibrations from his chest increased in volume, he'd wake himself up, glance around and then doze off again.

A surge of exhaustion washed over Taehyun from observing the man. He realized he hadn't slept since late last night and suddenly envied the guy behind him.

He debated whether he should nap on the bus or find somewhere after he left the bus. The bus felt like a less dangerous choice with there being fewer people but that didn't decrease his tentativeness around the idea.

Taehyun exhaled a gentle breath, eyes falling to his backpack.

It sat on the seat next to him undisturbed. The slider hit the zipper with a light clang, the noise high-pitched and soft playing into his ear in a steady rhythm that followed the bus's movements.

Taehyun grabbed his backpack and wrapped it in his arms, close to his body. The noise of metal on metal ceased and the bus went quiet apart from the never-ending buzz of vibrations from the aged vehicle.

Taehyun closed his eyes as he hugged his backpack for comfort and artery. Both it's and his. He needed everything in it and couldn't risk losing it. It held his only belongings left and of which were the things required to survive, apart from a possible weapon that he refused.

So, if he is to drift off, it has to be clutched against his chest. That way if someone tries to steal it he'll wake up and if not he's certain it's safe and his worries are at bay.

With that in mind, Taehyun finds peace when his eyes close involuntarily and his mind shifts into his unconsciousness. His chest slows into a shallow and steady rhythm and he slumps down in his chair, allowing his legs to stretch out in comfort.

***

"Hey kid! This is the last stop, you need to get off!" Taehyun jerked awake at the impatient voice shouting at him and opened his eyes to a blurry world. It was like looking at a reflection through a puddle rather than the world through his own eyes and he had to force it away with labored blinks.