Part 1: Chapter 3: We Were Never Alright

Eudoria walked slowly on the rocky cobblestone floor of district 4's reaping center. Finnick held her hand, instinctively. She eyed the line for the young girls and was about to make her way over when Finnick pulled her arm one last time.

" Hey. Look at me." He said as she turned her head to face him. Her eyes filled with worry. " Don't let them see your fear." He said before giving her one last hug, she wrapped her arms around his shoulders.

" Okay. I promise." She said turing away to the girls line. She stood behind a girl with 2 blonde braids sticking out of the side of her head. She was skinny and pale. She had long legs, her body was trembling.

" Name." The peacemaker asked me.

You are not afraid. Don't let them make you afraid.

" Eudoria Wendell."  I said confidently, narrowing my eyes on the pencil she used to check my name. The peacemaker quickly glanced at me, then sent me on my way.

    I found my way to the row with the other 13 year old girls and sat with them. I recognized most of them from the academy, a lot of them didn't like me. Not because I was rude or anything, because I was as a threat. Unlike others I had been training or at least learning about the games since I was a little girl. They were scared of my family, they were scared of me. I didn't care much anyway, I had my friends.

    I glanced up at the stage to see Mags. Her grey hair was brushed softly into two big curls, she looked tired, I could still see her dark eye bags through the makeup that the stylists used to cover it up. She wore a cream cardigan over a soft blue dress imprinted with flowers. In her hair she had a seashell clip, the one she wore in her games, her token, a good luck charm.

   I leaned over to peer at the boys line directly across from me. I could see Atlas and Finnick play fighting each other. Bumping into each other and smiling. Hudson looked terrified as he watched district 4s escort Posey Crystal prance  onto stage.

" Hello everyone, and Happy Hunger Games!" she yelled into the microphone waiting for a applause that never came. She wore a tight blue dress that went to her ankles, it was faced with crystals of blue, pink, and purple colors. Her hair was stark white, contrasting her olive skintone. Her eyebrows were bleached the same color as her hair and she had bright pink eyeshadow on. Her lips were a pale purple with a blue outline. Even topping her hair with a bejeweled fish hat. She looked absurd, it was amusing.

  We watched the video as we did ever year. Explaining how these games were a reflection of our actions the rebellion of the districts all those years ago. It made me sick watching that video. The past victors on stage couldn't even look at the video or the crowd, they just stared at the ground. The video concluded with a long bang and Posey started to walk again, making her way to the microphone.

  " Ok now it is the most interesting time. Time for the choosing, and my the odds be over on your favor, as always ladies first!" Posey smiled as she walked slowly over to the clear round bowl. Putting her long fingers in the bowl she quickly gripped one.

   The chance of Eudoria name getting drawn were not large. A very very small chance, she knew this but what if. What if it was her name in Posey's hands right now.

  Posey Crystal slowly opened the small piece of paper, and leaned into the microphone. " The female tribute for this years hunger games is..... Claudia Symphony."

   Everyone let out a collective sigh of relief. Except one girl, I could already hear her crying. I knew she was older then me because she was in the row behind me. Nobody ever volunteers in 4, it's an unspoken rule, even though we are considered a career district we don't endorse the games.

       Claudia continued to cry and scream when the peacemakers drug her up on stage. She wailed as she stood next to Posey. That's when I realized she was the girl who stood in front of me in line. Claudia would never get sponsors from acting like this. The poor girl didn't even realize it. She was dead the moment she walked on that stage.

     " Let's give a round of applause for Claudia Symphony." Posey clapped into the microphone, everyone else was silent and stone faced as they watched the girl, probably 16 years old crash to her knees and scream.

" Okay, time for the boys..." she said making her way to the boys bowl and mixing the name slips around with her hand. Then she quickly grabbed one that rested on top.

     " The male tribute for this years Hunger games is...."

I held my breath, afraid to breath.

" Finnick Odiar."

———————-———————-——————————
Author note:

You guys knew it was going to happen.
Kinda feel bad for Claudia though.