Chapter Four: Shouldering Our Lives

Saki knew Emu had to leave, but it still hurt. Even more so that she was taking Nene and Rui with her. Saki had grown to love the alchemist and singer in the time she spent with them, and she knew that Tsukasa had as well. She had seen the way that his eyes lit up around the people who loved theater just as much as he did. Yet even when Emu had offered Tsukasa a place in the troupe, he had declined. Saying something along the lines of "My duty to the kingdom comes first". Some dumb knight-future-duke nonsense.

Which is why Saki was putting her cross-stitching skills to use, making Tsukasa a wall decoration passive-aggressive enough to make her point ("Put yourself first for once and go do something fun, the kingdom won't burn down in a week if you leave. And let me leave too. Haven't forgotten that bit.") without actually saying it.

Imagine her surprise when Tsukasa burst into her room, face pale and arm wrapped around a satchel overflowing with clothes.

"'Kasa? Are you okay?" Saki stood. She had never seen her brother this panicked before, not while fully conscious anyway.

"Saki, I—" The words were stuck in his throat. He dropped the bag and rushed towards Saki, pulling her into a tight hug.

"What's going on? Did something happen?" A million thoughts rushed through Saki's head.

"I don't want you to worry."

"Kind of late for that." Saki squirmed out of the hug, looking Tsukasa dead in the eye.

He hesitated.

"Tsukasa. What's wrong." It wasn't a question; it was a demand.

"We don't want you to worry—"

"We?"

"Me and mom and dad. We don't want to stress your heart out too much."

"Again, a little late for that. Was there a fight? Did someone get hurt?" Tsukasa's face tightened just a bit. "Someone did get hurt."

"Saki—" Tsukasa cut himself off, putting his thoughts in order. "Someone did get hurt, badly, and someone else got caught up in it, but you don't need to worry about anything. I'm going to go help."

"Tsukasa—"

"I'll be fine. I'll just be away for... some time. But so will you, so you won't have to be preoccupied with worrying about me."

"I'll be away?"

"Mom and Dad talked with me. I'm sorry, I was being overprotective and babying you, I'm sorry. They're fine with letting you travel, and so am I."

With that, Tsukasa pulled Saki into one last tight hug, said goodbye, and raced out of the room, calling back about having to catch his ride.

Saki was left standing in the middle of her room, wrapped in a blanket of confusion and worry, yet determined to not let a second go to waste. With brisk steps, Saki raced to find Ichika.

They had some packing to do.

She would figure everything else out along the way.

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆

When Shizuku arrived at Rin's library, earlier than usual, she found Airi sitting at the table, head buried in her arms.

"Airi? Are you okay?" Airi pointed towards a piece of paper without raising her head. Shizuku picked up the paper and didn't even need to read past the first line .

Ms. Momoi, you are a very talented witch. However, we are unable to accept...

Another rejection letter. "Oh, Airi..."