Chapter 13: Inspiration

Marinette wasn't sure if she had ever been so excited! She has never been to a ball before and could not wait to see what inspiration she could pull from the surrounding cityscape. "Hey, Ma... Ma... Marinette, do you need a car?" Marinette looked up to see Luka in his blue doorman uniform, teal tips sticking out from under the matching hat, mirth in his eyes as he tried not a laugh at his name for her. "Luka! Good morning, no I'm going to walk today, I need some inspiration for creating. I have a dress to make and watching the city go by out a car window just isn't the same as taking in the details up-close. It makes all the difference when imagining intricate designs," she smiled. Nodding in understanding Luka remained silent. "Well, I'll see you later Luka, have a good day!" Marinette turns to leave but as her hands reaches to push open the door, Luka steps to her side, holding it open for her. "Marinette, uh, I was wondering, I'm having a party tonight on my houseboat. It's going to be great. If you have time and would want to come. I can pick you up. I get off at seven tonight, if you are back by then?" Marinette stood, a bit dumbfounded by the offer, "Oh my gosh! Luka, that sounds like fun! I'll let you know if I can make it, I need to let Adrien know I'm going, but here, put your number in the phone please," she smiled handing him the cellphone. "Awesome, I'll see you tonight, Mari, now go get inspired," Luka winked as he watched Marinette quickly text Adrien she was going out and slip the phone back in her bag, and head out into the city.

             The day was beautiful. The sun bright in the sky, the crisp fall air, causing a slight bite to her skin, and the leaves in the parks beginning to turn bright red, yellow, and orange. It was a perfect picture to pull inspiration. The fountain at the center of the park was dry and no longer running, but the porcelain still glittered in the sun and the puddle of multicolored leaves piled, geometrically in the bottom portraying the colors of fall. Sitting on the edge of the fountain, Marinette looked out to the city skyline. The skyscrapers existing as if reaching to the heavens, with thin, white clouds stratified across the top floors. Taking everything in, she finally put pencil to paper. The colors, the shining sun, the bright blue sky being touched by silver shimmering windows, the lastly that bite of cold running through her mind, over and over. It didn't take long, Marinette was lost in thought, when the squawking of a bird shook her from her revery. Looking down at her page and then the pencil in her hand and those at her side, the inspiration had just spilled from her. She was slightly confused as to how she had a final product already, but it was perfect, it was beautiful, and it screamed the atmosphere surrounding her.

                  A beautiful off shoulder long sleeve A-line dress with slight sweetheart neckline on her parchment. Glittering, brilliant red began at the arms and down the fitted bodice to the flair at the hip where the A-line shape began, fading into orange, then yellow with less and less shimmer, until the bottom was only flowing yellow ending mid ankle. It was perfect. Marinette couldn't wait to get the material and dye she needed! Hopping up from her spot, she noted it was a quarter past one. She had time to shop for what she needed and get back to start working on it before Adrien arrived home. Then she needed to get ready for Lukas party! Calling Gorilla to pick her up, Marinette made her way to gather her supplies and headed back to Adrien's Penthouse.

               "Marinette I'm back," Adrien called walking off the elevator, laying his brief case on the kitchen counter. Looking around he saw the gifts he had left her still spread over the living room. He received no answer to his call and headed to her bedroom door, knocking lightly. "Marinette?" Silence continued to answer him. He knew she had come home, Gorilla told him he had dropped her back off after her shopping trip. Adrien began to worry, grabbing the door handle and turning it to silently open the door. He stood there in awe at what he witnessed inside the petite girl's room. Marinette running back and forth from her dress form to pieces of red, orange and yellow fabrics all over the room. It was organized chaos. She was so engrained in her art she couldn't even realize anything else around her. She exuded pure creation; he could feel it, as if his blood was boiling. It was so difficult for him to not run to her, bring her in his arms and claim her. Instead, he cleared his throat and spoke a bit louder, announcing himself, once more. "EEP! Marinette jumped in the air, fabric flying over her head as she slipped on a bolt laying under her feet. Closing her eyes and preparing for a hard landing, Marinette held her breath, but the pain never came. Instead, she hit the firm chest of Adrien Agreste, his hands gripping her waist. Lifting her eyes Marinette could see his razor-sharp jawline, perfectly tan skin, kissable peach lips, and finally green, a field of green at the height of spring, and she sighed. "Marinette, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," Adrien helped her stand as he apologized, eyes soft as he watched her steady. "Ad...Adrien, I..." she looked around her room, steeling herself, eyes narrowing, "you, you can't be in here," she turned attempting to push him back toward her door. Smirking, he looked at her as she struggled. Chuckling he started moving on his own, "Okay, okay, sorry," his hand lifting in front of him, "you didn't answer I wanted to check on you." As they reached the door, Marinette apologized looking sheepishly at Adrien, "sorry, when I'm creating my designs, I kind of get lost in my work, but you, aren't allowed to see it until the ball! Determination setting in her eyes, and she began to push him, "so out, out, out," pushing him the rest of the way and shutting the door behind them.