Chapter Six: Gunshots at Dawn

He grabbed the railing, feeling its cold tinge even through the gloves as he pulled himself upwards, the shouts keeping him moving. Pulling himself over the lip of the roof, sprinting across the flat surface, the dawn light glowing around him, shoes slapping against the ceiling. The roof ahead ended, giving way to an even taller building, a huge brick one with no windows whatsoever. He turned quickly back, seeing the men chase after him, their dark orange jackets fluttering in the wind, revealing their black cotton shirts. Looking forward, he bravely leapt the gap, twisting as he dropped downwards, tugging the weapon from its sheathe.

A man came to view at the lip of the building he had just left, raising musket to aim at him. He was faster than the man, his finger already curled around the metal trigger, his aim already taken. Gunshots rang out in the early morning as the dawn broke.

The bullets must have hit home, the soldier listing backward, out of sight.

He felt nothing, could care less that he had killed a man. Honestly, he had lost count a long time ago...

The wind rushed around him and he readied himself for impact. The ground rushed to meet him. His forearm shot out curved. The rest of his arm came next and then his body, all perfectly rolling forward. With a dizzying tilt, the rush of motion stopped, his body virtually unscathed.

Brushing the dirt from his face, he looked up behind himself as he saw the rest of the pursuing men look for him from the rooftop. He stood low, stealthily making his way into the nearby alley, his dark black-brown cloak blending him into the shadows.

He swore silently, knowing good and well who sent these guards, or rather, who had, over a month ago. They still pursued him, his every move shadowed, traced. Guns tucked into his belt, he made his way from the alley to the next street, the stores still closed in these early hours. He walked naturally, paying extra attention to look normal. It was more of a habit than anything, no one was even about, except him and the soldiers, obviously.

His eyes wandered the shops, landing on the toy store with its brightly decorated things. A certain pastel blue boat caught his eye and he grinned a little, Michael would love a toy like that. He almost slowed before he realized the situation didn't allow for sentiment.

He made his way to the tavern, still dark. The faded letters of the sign spelled out 'Full Pint Inn', just visible. He stole around the building, easily leaping the short gate.

A soft neigh greeted his ears as he neared his mount, taking care to not alarm the other horses, lest they make noise and alert his pursuers of his whereabouts. He patted the dark gray flank of the horse, brushing his fingers through his short hair as he mounted "Good to see you." The horse shook it's mane, turning to eye him, sniffing the air. Tucker cracked a smile, reaching into his saddle pack to pull out an apple, tossing it to his steed. The horse caught it, crunching into the fruit, juices dribbling down it's chin. The horse nickered cheerfully, shaking it's black mane "Glad you're satisfied. Death moves fast, time for us to move faster."

And with that, they took off, easily clearing the gate, hooves finding easy traction on the rode. They rode fast, heading in the direction of Petraford, the mining city. He had a little agenda to attend to, and after that, he would take on his brother, make him pay for what he had done, what he tried to do. Tucker didn't play around when it came to vengeance.

He hoped Allison could forgive him for what he must do.
**********************************

DragonDog1: Some of you may figure out what I just did and who I just wrote about if you read carefully. I won't just tell you though, haha. Anyways, please comment and vote because your opinions matter to me greatly. Thank you!