prologue/one

— SEATTLE, WASHINGTON —

8:46 PM. MEDICAL LABORATORY WING, ROOM 602.

"IT'S AFTER HOURS, Lab's clo..."

Michelle trails off into silence as two men in suits approach her desk. They reach into their pockets, flashing their badges in synchrony. Before she can get a good look at the identification, the men put them away as quickly as the pulled them out.

She caught a glimpse of their division, FBI. Michelle quirks an eyebrow. "What does the FBI want?"

"Mr. Grand's blood samples," The taller one of the two speaks up, his hands clasped together and rested in front of him to appear formal and confident. He gestures between the two. "I'm Agent Reyes, this is my partner, Agent Perry."

Michelle looks him up and down, her face still set in a skeptical attitude. She looks over to the other one, exhaling and squinting her eyes slightly.

"We need to investigate the cause of death," Agent Reyes speaks up to catch Michelle's attention again. Her gaze snaps back to his, but her head remained still pointed to Agent Perry's general direction.

"Well, you could've filed a release of information request," She retorts, inhaling quietly, "Or a warrant. You know."

Agent Perry holds back the urge to roll his eyes, but slightly falters, "Listen, it's not like we're taking it away from you and putting it up in a museum, we just need the samples for our forensic units to examine."

Michelle takes a box, carrying it to the other side of the room as she talks, "I want to see a warrant. And a formal release from Grand's family."

"We have one, but we didn't think it would be much of an issue to bring it with," Perry almost seethes in irritation, and Agent Reyes pushes him back slightly by his chest as if to tell him 'shut up'.

"Ms..." Reyes starts, but trails off, not knowing the doctor's name.

"Michelle Jordan," She replies, going back to the two and sitting in her office chair.

"Ms. Jordan," He continues, exhaling slightly, "My partner's right. We do have a formal release from Grant's wife, but we didn't bring it. Our boss should've filled out a warrant for the samples, we're not too sure if you recieved it or not...?"

Michelle's eyebrows draw together, tilting her head to the side slightly. "And your boss' name is?"

Perry exhales, pulling out a buisness card with who Michelle assumed was the Agents' boss. She took it from Perry's hand, grabbing her phone and dialing the number. As it rang, she hesitantly glanced back up at the two.

A man picks up the phone, his greeting a little bit grumbled. Michelle looks back up to the two for a moment, hesitating to speak.

"Hello?" The man, supossedly the Agent's boss, calls to Michelle.

She speaks breifly, asking about a case involving the FBI at the hospital and two agents being sent there. The boss answered vividly, soon just getting irritated and hanging up with a quick 'goodbye'.

The Agents look to each other, then back to Michelle. She looks back to them, sighing in indescision.

"You have the warrant?" Michelle asks again, and they both nod. "I need to see it to release the samples."

Perry and Reyes exhale in dissapointment, the shorter one closing his eyes for a moment as he stands.

Reyes speaks up, nodding, "Alright. We'll get that back to you, Ms. Jordan."

"Thank you," She says, a quick and polite smile spreading across her face before sitting down in her chair.

The two look back to each other one last time before turning their backs to the doctor and heading out the door.

Michelle covers her eyes with her hands, exhaling as she decompresses briefly. After a few moments, she uncovers her eyes and grabs her bag, slinging it over her shoulder and taking her lanyerd from her desktop.

She looks around the room for a moment, before turning off the lights to her office and closing the door behind her, locking it in the process.

IT HAD BEEN three weeks when the Agents showed up again. This time with a warrant in hand.

Michelle sighs as she sees the Agents returned. She took off her reading glasses, pushing them up and resting them on top of their head.

She held out her hand, her palm faced upwards. Perry and Reyes look to each other, hesitant, before handing the paper to her.

Michelle put her glasses back on, scanning it over. The two Agents stood in wait, one less patient than the other.

"We'd like to collect the samples now, if everything looks fine to you," Agent Reyes says. Michelle's gaze snaps up to his. She looks to Perry, and back to Reyes. A soft sigh escapes her as she comes to a stand. She moves her glasses back on top of her head, walking over to a file cabinet.

"Thank you for that," She says, almost reluctantly so. Grabbing keys from a drawer, Michelle turns to the two of them. "It's in the storage room."

The three walked in silence as they made their way down the white-tiled halls, passing other offices and labs as they walked.

Michelle soon stopped at a door, shoving the key in the keyhole and unlocking it after a quick moment of slight struggle.

She steps inside, flicking on a light and walking to the back of the room. As she scours through boxes and drawers, the two Agents talk amongst themselves.

"You think she's onto us?" Reyes asks quietly. Perry shakes his head.

"No. We got what she asked, even though it was a bitch trying to print it out," He seethed, lingering irritation in his tone. Reyes nudges him with his elbow.

"Well, once we get this, we can send it over to Bobby's, and go on our way," Reyes says with a small exhale. Perry leans in the doorway, arms crossed over his chest and finger taping his arm.

"Yeah," He replies lowly, nodding once and running his tongue over his teeths.

Michelle comes back with a box of papers and a smaller box inside it. Labeled on the box is numbers and 'GRAND' scribbled on it.

Perry pushes off the door, taking the box from her. Reyes nods at her with a small smile.

"That all?" She asks, hands at her side.

"Yeah, should be all," Reyes says, "Thank you, Ms. Jordan."

Michelle nods curtly. The two agents move aside so Michelle can close and lock the door again, doing so quicker than she did opening it.

"You're welcome," She replies, turning to the two and dropping the key in her pocket, "Have a good day Agents."

"Have a good day," Reyes echoes, and the two Agents walk away from her.

A pit formed in Michelle's stomach, an uneasy feeling settling in her. She pressed her lips together, squinting her eyes to try and place the reason why she felt that way as she watched them walk.

Michelle opted to turn around and go back to her office, paying it no mind any further. She decided that it was done and over with, and she had nothing to worry about.

For now, at least.