Prologue

"Merlin? Where are you? I need you to polish my boots!" Arthur yelled from his desk, almost waking the whole castle.

Merlin sauntered into his room, boots in hand, "already finished!" He grinned proudly before dropping them at the prince's feet.

Arthur raised an eyebrow. "Why are you so chipper this morning?"

"Am I not allowed to be chipper?"

"No it disturbs me."

Merlin sighed. "Anything else I can do for you, sire?"

"Father has called some sort of emergency council. I wish for you to accompany me." Arthur explained while putting his boots on. "He sounded angry and I need someone to blame."

"Which is where I come in," Merlin grimaced.

Arthur stood up and slapped his back, "exactly. Come on."

Together the pair marched towards the throne room. The castle was strangely quiet. It was usually rampant with the hustle and bustle of people. Arthur seemed rather concerned by this. As he pushed open the large oak doors to the hall, his eyebrows drew together in confusion.

Inside the throne room stood a group of people; strangers and friends, talking in hushed voices. As Arthur moved closer he saw a large white crystal in the centre of them. It was flat and circular. Like half of a giant orb.

"Father," he greated, bowing slightly at Uther.

"Ah Arthur, you're the last to arrive," he held onto his son's shoulder, his face was creased in what Arthur recognised to be fear.

"What's going on?" He asked.

"No one has any idea," Morgana frowned, standing next to Gwen with her arms crossed. "This crystal appeared out of nowhere. As did they-" she gestured towards a group of men Merlin had never met before.

However, amongst the group, he did recognise one man. He stood proud, though his face was one of bafflement.

"Lancelot!" Arthur beamed, shaking the man's hand.

"My Lord, I hope you are well. I apologise for my unexpected visit." He bowed his head.

"Don't be ridiculous. It's good to see you."

"And you, my lord." Lancelot smiled. "I recieved a letter last night asking that I come back to Camelot. It was anonymous but it said it was a matter of great importance."

"We recieved the same," a man with long brown hair and a beard spoke. He seemed slightly intoxicated, but his eyes were wary. "The name's Gwaine. This here is Percival." He nodded towards a muscular man with his arms showing.

"And who are you?" Uther turned to the last two men.

"Elyan, Sire. My name is Elyan. I am brother to Guinevere." Said one of the men, before smiling warmly at his sister.

Uther nodded before turning to the last man. He was young and seemed utterly out of place in the hall. His eyes were bright blue and his hair was dark. His eyes were trained on both Morgana and Merlin, though only Gaius seemed to notice. He raised his eyebrow at the man in suspicion.

"The King has asked you a question." Sir Leon spoke boldly at the young man.

He nodded, awoken from his daze and turned to the king. "My name is Mordred."

Merlin felt as though he'd been slapped. As did Arthur. As did Gaius.

Morgana gasped like she had been electrocuted. Her eyes were wide in shock as her mouth spoke soundless words. She knew he looked familiar. But how was it possible? He was merely a child but now he looked as though he was twenty.

"Morgana?" Uther turned to her. "You know this man?"

"Oh! Sorry, no. I- um," she forced a smile, composing herself. "Sorry it was a yawn that came out rather rudely. I apologise."

"That's quite alright." Uther turned to Arthur, "I suspect some sort of sorcery to be the cause of this," he gestured towards the giant crystal. "We must be wary and dispose of it at once."

"Yes father."

"Just one moment, my lord," Gaius spoke warily, he picked up a letter from beside the crystal and handed it to the king. "Maybe it would be wise to see what the sorcerer has to say. We don't want to accidentally curse ourselves again."

Uther hestitated before grabbing the letter. "Quite right, Gaius. There could be trickery involved." He popped open the letter and began to read. His frown deepened the longer he read.

"Ridiculous!" Uther threw the letter into Arthur's hands.

Arthur read it through quickly. He appeared thoughtful for a moment before speaking. "Father, I think it would be wise to do as it says."

"What does it say?" Merlin muttered, looking at Arthur.

"It says that we were all brought here to watch our histories and futures on the crystal. It is said to be of importance. To help us change our destiny." He explained loudly for all to hear.

"This is clearly a trick! The crystal has been bewitched! It can not be trusted!" The king exclaimed furiously.

"Aren't you curious about your future, my lord?" Morgana asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Not now, Morgana." Uther sighed. He stared at his son. "It would not be wise."

"It would give us an advantage. If we see our future enemies we can be prepared."

Mordred's eyes drifted over to Morgana.

"I wonder if we will find out the cause of Arthur's pigheadedness." Gwen muttered and Morgana chuckled.

"Fine!" Uther spoke and the hall fell silent. "We will do as the sorcerer asked. As Arthur explained, it will be good to know our future enemies." He sighed, stressed.

Merlin hurried to move chairs around the crystal orb and everyone sat down.

As soon as eveeyone's attention was on the orb; images started to appear...

Authors Note:

All of the characters a part from Mordred are from just after season 2 episode 7; the Witchfinder. Mordred is from season 5 episode 8; the Hollow Queen.

Hi! Please tell me any specific scenes you'd like the characters to react to! I hope you enjoy this book!