Our day, just us

..
Unexpectedly, it’s breezy and cold out, while Sam and Jay sit together inside their university’s heated and cozy library. The library's practically empty, and a sense of stillness and peace surrounds them.

They both feel comfortable in each other's presence, they work on their respective assignments in silence. The sound of Sam’s somewhat calm playlist fills their ears through the one pair of earphones they're sharing. The brightness of their laptops’ screens pierces through the dim light surrounding the library. They sit at a huge table but still leave no distance between their chairs. The occupied corner where they sit starts to appear messy due to the number of books spread open and their scattered stationeryh mathematical solutions is displayed on Sam's laptop. He squints his eyes at the screen for a few minutes before scribbling something in his exercise book. Jay casually spaces out, blankly staring at the English book in front of him. It goes on like this for at least another 20 minutes.

.

Until Jay notices the excessive noise and movements around him, so he turns around to find Sam, aggressively going through multiple books placed in front of him and occasionally sighing or silently muttering curses in between.

“Do you need any help?” Jay asks in a low voice to not startle his partner.

“No..it’s fine, I’ll probably figure it out in a while, don't worry about it," Sam replies, smiling at Jay but he stressfully pulls at his hair right after.

“Let me help you, otherwise you’ll continue wasting your time,” Jay says, trying to convince Sam before slowly taking his book out of his hands. “Which question are you stuck on?”

“The thirty-fifth one,” Sam says and lets out a huff.

Jay turns to face Sam after a few minutes of attempting to solve the problem at the back of his book.

“This isn’t as hard as it seems, okay? Just listen to me, you’ll get it, I promise.” Jay reassures Sam with a smile while softly placing his hand on top of Sam’s, noticing his distressed state.

He just vaguely nods before taking a deep breath and looking at the math book in front of them.

“You should equate these two equations together that you’ll get after substituting…” Jay started once he thought Sam was ready to pay attention again.

They both remain focused on the problem, and Sam tries his best to concentrate and understand what Jay is trying to tell him, but he eventually starts to get distracted soon enough and instead begins glancing at the person sitting next to him every few seconds.

How the hell can he possibly help it? especially after seeing how painfully gorgeous Jay looks just sitting there and explaining something harder than Calculus. Sam gets so lost in thought that when Jay finishes talking and asks him if he understood everything, he just blankly stares at him in response.

“Are you okay?” Jay asks him while making eye contact with him and rubbing circles on his back.

“Yeah…I’m fine, I just zoned out for a bit. I’m sorry, can you please repeat that last part?” Sam replies in a slightly embarrassed tone, while his ears continue to turn red and start turning an even darker shade of red when Jay decides to lightly laugh at him and pat his head while of course agreeing to explain the solution again.

.

Sam finishes his work in the span of another 20 minutes, something he probably couldn’t have done without the help he had rejected earlier.

Jay had gotten back to work right after he’d finished assisting Sam, but despite that, he still hadn’t made much progress on the essay he had been trying to write.

“Is something going on? You’ve been spacing out for quite some time now.” Sam finally decided to say something after noticing that Jay had been staring at a page with just a few sentences for a good 10 minutes now.