Chapter 5: Shadow Dui

It's been a couple weeks since she's been at the mansion. She got Scorpio's permission to see Dui. She knocked on his office door. "Dui, it's me." Ariana said. "I thought I told you to leave me alone..." Dui said at the other side of the door. "I brought some cherries in case you wanted some. I'll just put them right here." Ariana said.

Just when she was about to leave, he opened the door to pick up the cherries. He looked at her and left the door opened like a signal that she could go in.

Once she entered, she closed the door behind her. "Aren't you afraid of me..?" Dui asked. "No I'm not." Ariana answered. "You're lying. I rather have you tell me the truth." Dui said. "I'm not. Honest." Ariana said. "Why won't you leave me alone..?" Dui asked. "Because... I can't leave you alone. The truth is... I miss you." Ariana said. "You... Have?" Dui asked. "Yeah. Even in a short time, we've made lots of memories and you've helped me when I needed it. I can't just let this all go. After all, I'm only human..." Ariana said. "...That's right. You are human. Humans are warm, simple creatures with kind hearts." Dui said. "I know you like humans." Ariana said. "I do. I've always watched Earth from the reflection pool. Humans are so cute and full emotion even though at times they may lose their way, but... They're able to start over and get back on the right track. They can do things gods can't which is amazing." Dui said. "What makes you think gods can't do the same?" Ariana asked. "What?" Dui asked. "If a god can realize he made a mistake, all he has to do is know what he did wrong, and find a way to get back on the right track. If humans can do it like you said, I'm sure gods can too. I know you sinned in the past but it makes me worry about you to see you like this. I want you to pick yourself up and move forward. I'll help you do that since you helped me when I needed it. If it's ok with you... Can you help me understand what's hurting you?" Ariana asked. "...This is the first time in my life anyone's told me that they want to understand my pain." Dui said taking a hold of her hand. "Would you like to go on the roof and see the stars with me?" She nodded giving him a warm smile.

They went on top of the roof and gazed at the stars. "You know... I've missed you too." Dui said. "Really?" Ariana asked. "Whenever I was looking at the stars by myself, I would think of you. It's because we looked at the stars together last time. That was really fun! Whenever I spend time with you, it puts me in a good mood. I didn't think you would be around me anymore since meeting my other self, but... Here you are. That itself makes me want to tell you more. Will you let me tell you... About my sin?" Dui asked. "Yes of course." Ariana answered. "Before I tell you, can I hold your hand? It'll make me feel better and it'll give me courage I need to tell my story." Dui said. "Do whatever helps." Ariana said and held his hand.

"My sin is the most sinful in the heavens... I killed another god..." Dui said. "What?! He killed someone?! This sweetheart?!" Ariana thought. "I had a best friend in the heavens and we grew up like brothers. He ate the forbidden fruit and went down the path of evil. If his crime were to come to light, he would've received a punishment worse than death." Dui said. "What could be worse than death..?" Ariana asked. "He would be entombed, alone in an escapable darkness closed for all eternity." Dui said. "That is worse than death..." Ariana said. "His body and mind had already been eaten away by the evil and looked like he was in so pain. I couldn't imagine what he was going through. That was when he wanted me to grant his final wish..." Dui said. "What was his final wish..?" Ariana asked. "He wanted me to put him out of his misery. Me, his best friend, the god he always thought as a brother, to be the one to end his life." Dui said.

She gasped and clamped her hand over her mouth. "...I killed a god. Under normal circumstances, I would've been kicked out of the heavens immediately, but I began to show signs of a split personality. With that, Scorpio agreed to keep an eye on me in the Department of Punishment until my symptoms subsided. He's the only one who can stop my other self." Dui said. "I know that since that was mentioned earlier..." Ariana thought. "The truth is... I don't deserve your help, Ariana. I don't deserve to be happy..." Dui said. "Don't say that..." Ariana said. "I couldn't stand to see my friend in pain so I did what he asked... Even when my life ends and I become a star and return to the sky, I think it's only right that I continue to bear this sin for all eternity..." Dui said.
She looked down with pained eyes. "Don't look so sad. I'm not asking for sympathy. Come on, look up at the stars." Dui said.