5. As Friends.

Horatio had sat in that damned stairwell until he could no longer hear the faint taps of Ophelia's steps sounding into the very stones he leaned his head against. He did not instantly move, instead he closed his eyes and breathed. He was back, he looked so different from just a year ago, an echo of his former self. He waited for the sounds of court to slip away before descending and rejoining the remaining guests. He had to speak with him, to talk with him, to hold him. He had forgotten the sound of his voice until it cut through the hall directly into his soul. The pieces of his fragmented heart had realigned, the clenched muscles in his skull eased, and for a moment he had experienced true unfiltered euphoria.
    Upon reentering the now only half full hall, he instantly began heading towards the nearest available exit. He had to see him. He was a personal friend, they schooled together, surely that could grant him some kind of access. He swept past Ophelia's place and instantly regretted that very decision.
    "Horatio! I thought I spotted you amongst the crowds. You have caused great distress among the ladies, but most assuredly on my part; I have not seen you at court in a whole fortnight at least. You have not been avoiding me, I hope?" One of the women, a fierce dark beauty, sat patiently at the table, staring at him with eyes of purest midnight. She had a subtle grin drawn upon her skin, looking him up and down. He smiled a sly and flirtatious grin as he bowed.
    "Lady Sabina, you have no heart. You must know I am but a physician, court is not my place."
    "Yes, but all physicians may dine with us, it is traditional after all. How else can a king thank you, patching up all those wounded soldiers in the training grounds?" She gently played with a strand of hair. Why did this always happen? Every damn time he needed to leave some woman would approach him with the most lust or hope filled expression. He knew he could not complain on the topic, yet he still wished another man had been blessed with such a gift, a man who could appreciate it.
    "The tradition is no longer in place, my lady, and a true shame to it. I dearly miss your company."
    "You are here now."
    "On the special request of Lady Abeline, I blush to admit." He bowed his head, the seconds slipping away at the very forefront of his mind.
    "My, Horatio, your card is fuller than mine. Speaking of which, will you be attending the feast tonight? Several of the lords, I hear, are fighting to make it a last-minute ball of sorts. Dinner is such a dull thing to celebrate a prince." Her expression was a strange mix of hope and sultry, acted boredom.
    "Alas, the invitation was not extended to myself."
    "Consider it extended, your absence could very well be considered treason and we wouldn't want that."
    "I am most grateful, my lady. Now, as much as I loathe to lose the pleasure of your company, I must return to my wounded soldiers. I shall see you tonight?"
    "Indeed. Oh, and Horatio, wear something red, it makes you look so dashing and accomplished." He nodded and bowed, kissed her hand, gave her an enticing smile, and exited quickly without promise. How he hated every second at court. He was a pawn, a toy, an accessory, and a mere ant in their eyes, while they were gods, untouchable, unbreakable. It was suffocating, unnecessary. How could Ophelia stand this every day? He walked down hallways, and stairwells, taking one turn and then the next. He was almost to the soldiers' quarters, when he looked up to find Laertes walking towards him. Horatio held his breath, stopped, and bowed.
    "There you are! I was just coming to find you." Laertes held a taunting smile, waiting a good long second before saying: "At your ease, Horatio. I come as a friend." Friend?
    "I apologize for making the search for me so difficult, my Lord. What was it you wished to speak with me about? Can I assist you in some way?" He raised his body, his arms resting behind his back. He had to exude an air of calm collection, while also having an appropriate level of respect, and concern. Laertes could not know that currently his heart was pounding louder than the war drums as his anxiety ran him from the depths of winter to the heats of summer simultaneously.
    "Nothing to any extent. I simply wished to see you before I leave." Laertes smiled, leaning against the wall, disrespectfully casual.
    "You are leaving, my Lord? Was there some errand you were in need of?" Please, to any god there may be, say yes, and be off.
    "Polite and well trained. It's always impressive when someone of your status knows his position. Tell me, Horatio, are you of noble birth?" His smile broadened. He already knew the answer, yet, like some cat, decided to toy the fact that in every material way, he was better: a better brother, son, lover, and man.
    "My mother was a simple farmer's daughter, who worked hard for her position to be a maid." Horatio smiled slightly.
    "Then how the hell did you manage to get into Wittenberg? Pardon my language."
    "I had a patron, my Lord, who assisted in my first year, which gave rise to the opportunity for a scholarship. My peers thought me quite gifted."
    Laertes snapped his finger dramatically, slowly beginning to walk circles around him. "That explains it. You are too well trained to have done it yourself. You know your place, you are humble, and flattery rolls off your tongue so naturally. If you were noble, you would be the eye of not only the women, but their fathers as well." Laertes paused, in speech, and in movement for a moment, making direct eye contact with him. "Tell me, Horatio, do you like women?"
    "Pardon, my Lord?"
    "Women seem to like you an awful lot, Horatio. So do the men."
    "I am afraid I am not entirely sure what you are referring to, my Lord."
    "Please, you know who I am. It is only fitting that I know who you are. He is very lucky to have you, someone as talented, and yet so invisible as you are. A perfect lover for a noble, much more for royalty. Excellently done."
    "He? Lord Laertes, I am sorry to admit, but I'm rather confused." Oh dear God, this was the end, being thrown out without title, recommendation, name, or even him.
    "There's no use in denying it. There's no need to worry, I won't tell. It would do far more damage to him than I would like, and a man like me is only as good as his word. I am surprised he would pick someone like you though, he has always been fond of the quiet types, and you are just so outspoken! You are humble, educated, yet very quick-witted and tongued while also completely understanding when to keep your mouth shut. I do not mean to compliment you, Horatio, but you are very intelligent. And from your manner, it seems you are also very hard to get. Perhaps that's why. He does love the chase, the hunt. You would be a worthy prize if you were that difficult to attain, I suppose."
    "My lord, perhaps we should move this to a more private setting."
    "No need, no need. Why are you so afraid? Do you wonder how I know you? People do talk, Horatio. Are you afraid I may destroy you entirely? Your work, your love, everything that you have fought for for years now seems to be in my very fingertips, mine to choose between squishing, or flourishing. Yet, as I previously stated, I will not say a word. Despite what he may depict me as, a villain, some insane and heartbroken fool, I am much more than his interpretation of me." He grinned as he strongly patted at Horatio's shoulder.
    Horatio was silent for a long moment before he whispered, tears in his eyes: "Has he spoken to you of me?" The sound of his voice rung quietly down the halls. This was too open a place to do this.
    "So you admit it. I'm glad we are finally on honest terms, Horatio. No, he has not, and neither has my sister, to my great distaste. I have simply heard very subtle and quiet rumors that the prince of Denmark has been a slight party animal while away at Wittenberg. It seems that he was quite attracted to his college life, the freedom it could allow." Laertes let the tension sink in. He was a cat. "Tell me, Horatio, how many men was he with before you?"
    "My lord, I think it wise that I leave." Horatio took a step back, trying to get out of his grip, only for Laertes to squeeze hard.
    "Why? Are you afraid that you may lay hands upon me? Have I offended you in some way? I thought we were speaking as friends."
    Horatio took a final warning step back, putting space between them. "If you are truly leaving, I am sorry to hear it. The lady Ophelia was very secluded in your absence, and with you being here, she seems a far more saturated self. I do not know what you spoke with her about earlier, my lord, but I advise you apologize. There was fire in her eyes, and you know she will not take it out on you, or anyone but herself. If she so much as says the wrong word, I would not be surprised if Polonius were to take it on her. If I loved my sister at all, I should do my best to dampen those flames."
    "Are you giving me orders now, Horatio? How very amusing!"
    "I am simply giving you warning, advice, because, as a 'friend', I worry for her. Polonius has high sites, and with the prince returned, I would not be surprised if his sites were to grow higher. Even Ophelia, my lord, can only take so much. My best advice, my lord, in all due respect, is that of which I know for a fact you will not listen to. I strongly think you should stay. If not for yourself, then for her. I care not for your status with the prince, but your sister should not be alone with your father for too long."
    "I will take it into account. Perhaps that's why he likes you, you do have sweet words that somehow find a way to weasel into any soul you choose. Is it a talent? Or did you learn it from somewhere? Never mind, it matters not. I simply wanted to wish you farewell, I doubt we will speak before I leave, and I hoped to introduce myself to you. Good day, Horatio." Without waiting for reply, he began to walk away.
    "Good day my lord. I apologize for taking up so much of your time." He did not look back, respond, or acknowledge his existence.

    Good, the walls of court had returned.