37. The Warriors Will

The only thing illuminating the dark road in front of us was the rover's headlights. It was pitch black and we couldn't see a thing. Then again, there really wasn't anything to see in a wasteland. We'd been driving for hours now. Madi and Athena were asleep in the back, tired from the events of the previous day.

"I need to get that thing out of her," Clarke whispered.

I glanced over my shoulder and Madi seemed to be out like a light.

"Pull over," I responded.

Clarke nodded her head and stopped the rover. We hopped out and made our way towards the back. She opened the door as quietly as she could and reached for Madi. I winced at the collar around her neck, and Clarke grabbed ahold of it. Just as she grabbed it, Madi startled awake and recoiled from Clarke.

"Stop! Were you -- No," Madi exclaimed, pushing past us and jumping out of the rover.

"Madi. Madi!"

"Get away from me! I'm going back."

Madi bolted and Clarke chased after her. I checked to make sure Athena was okay before following them. Madi was climbing up a sandhill, trying her best to make her escape.

"Oh, no you're not. It's 50 miles to Polis. Now get down from there," Clarke shouted, grabbing the back of Madi's jacket.

I gasped as the two tumbled down the sandhill. Clarke was holding onto Madi for dear life, and the latter was doing her best to get away.

"Let go of me."

Clarke flipped Madi onto her back and she huffed in pain.

"Madi. I'm sorry. Are you okay?"

Madi panted heavily before forcefully shoving Clarke away.

"I said no!"

"That thing is not staying in your head," Clarke said.

"Yes it is. And if you want to take it you're gonna have to kill me."

"Madi, come on," I tried.

"What? You're willing to let Bellamy die and Indra and Gaia. Why not me?" She demanded, making me flinch.

"Get in the rover," Clarke ordered, grabbing Madi by the arms and pushing her towards the rover.

"No! Get off!" Madi screamed, resisting her with all her strength.

"We are not doing this now."

"Let me go! Stop! Why are you doing this?" She asked, glaring at Clarke. "I need to go back. Commanders don't run away."

"Well, it's a good thing you're not a Commander," Clarke responded. She attempted to put Madi into the back of the rover but struggled as Madi continued to fight her. "Damn it, Madi. I thought the Flame was supposed to make you wise. You're acting like the child who attacked me in the woods."

"Octavia won't run away, and because of you, she'll get her war."

"Want to bet?"

That made Madi pause. "What are you gonna do?"

"I'm gonna tell Diyoza that the eye is down. I'm gonna tell Octavia that she knows. She can decide not to march or march and be destroyed. Either way, problem solved. Now get in."

All three of us halted when we noticed something that we didn't the first time. There were boxes on the side and I reached forward, opening one of them.

"Harley, be careful," Clarke said. I pulled out a jar and peered closely. That's when I realized what they were.

"The worms," Madi said.