iv. Eleven

.ೃ*: ⁰4    THE QUARRY

Bailey Lefay was good at controlling her feelings— well the negative ones. It wasn't a difficult feat, it just took three simple steps in which she carefully calculated some reminders towards her chaotic mind; the person she is, how she wants other people to view her, and the person she doesn't want to end up being. She was a naturally patient girl, and always had been, dating right back to her early childhood. It was in a particular moment when she had decided whatever negativity came to her was simply expected, and she couldn't control the merciless actions of others, merely her own reaction. Though, her own philosophical beliefs prove ever difficult to comply with as the final whistle of her baseball match rings haughtily across the pitch, signifying the end of the game. For Bailey Lefay had an undeniably large ego— she was lucky her heart and kindness matched its size.

Hawkins had won— of course they had, with Bailey as their captain it would be a confirmed victory each and every time. After all, she was the one that made them train hard, had them practicing everyday after school, dedicating her own time to making sure her teammates properly understood, and she was caring. She was passionate; it's something to concentrate on, in fact, it is one of the things she can put her focus to and keep it there, absorbed beyond belief. And so, at the recognition of their triumph, the nine girls rush together to celebrate.

Bailey grins widely and wonkily, so much so her cheeks ache and her eyes almost water with pride. The massive overhead lights beam down on the large pitch, blinding the girls, but this is the least of their concern. Bailey's fringe is plastered messily to her forehead, and she is breathing heavily as beads of sweat spill from her flushed face at an alarming rate. The green and white jersey hangs from her body limply— having got it from lost property instead of custom made— though this allows enough air in to cool her down massively. Before the crowd's cheers can encourage her obnoxious celebrations, Bailey strolls eagerly over to the other team, shaking each of their hands with great enthusiasm. The rest of her team ignore this gesture, and excitedly return to their changing rooms.

A roar of joyful cheers almost makes Bailey flinch, but instead she throws her arms up, beaming like a lost puppy, and runs a reddened hand— victim to her bat— through her hair. She flops down wearily on the bench by her hanger, and all the girl's adrenaline begins to wear off as they do the same. The girls fall into excited chatter, and Bailey looks up, chin still resting on her chest, to meet the piercing brown eyes of Alice Wicker, her closest friend on the team. "That was a really good game out there." Alice smiles over at Bailey, keenly talking to the blonde, "Yeah, you were totally awesome, that catch you made... wow!"

     Alice was a pretty girl, with shoulder length ginger hair, and a complexion of freckles that made up a constellation over every patch of bare skin showing. Bailey supposes they don't really know each other too well, after all they only really find themselves talking during practice, or under the bleachers every once in a while, where they would share a cigarette at break time— though Bailey was out of cash and far too concerned about her physical health, and Alice wouldn't dream of being caught buying such things. Bailey usually did most of the talking, which was far from unusual, but Alice seemed like a nice enough friend to have, and overly keen on being associated with Bailey.

     "We were all awesome," Bailey corrects modestly, trying to prevent herself from smiling, but she feels a warmth rush over her as she relives the moments on the pitch, almost watching in slow motion as her hard work was put to use— it was something she had made possible, even if it was everyone's achievement. "I wish I could give a tip to their bowler though, I could see exactly where she was going wrong and it was so frustrating and if she just tilted her body just slightly more she could've had me a couple of times at least! And their backstop— had the worst cold in the whole of Indiana, she sneezed so hard I'm surprised it didn't knock me off my fuckin' feet!" As Bailey goes off on her mandatory spiel, Alice watches her with large, intrigued eyes, almost as if she's curious what is going on in Bailey's mind, or maybe she's simply wondering how one speaks so fast without tripping over their words every once in a while.