01

Beep...Beep...Beep...

'Seph's heart monitor sings on in a steadily eerie tone. The sound is unnerving but a necessary discomfort I endure with my hand squeezing over her's. She breathes in a peaceful stillness untouched by life's worries.

That's more than I can say for myself. My forehead falls to press against our hands. I know I should go. I don't want her to see the messy streaks of mascara staining my cheeks or-much worse-I don't want Demeter to catch me still here if she wakes up.

"You will," I correct aloud with a sharpness that subsides as I gaze upon her once more. "Please...wake up, love."

She remained unresponsive in her ethereal stagnance. I would give all the obols in the world to see those delicate lashes flutter with life. I wished that this was just a horrible joke she thought up with Hecate and we could laugh about it over dinner. Hermes would've griped about not being in on it, Athena and Artemis would judge Aphrodite and Thanatos for endorsing this behavior...and Seph would laugh that adorable little laugh she does when she knows she's put me in a grumpy mood.

Oh, but I could never be cross with her for long.

I made silent promises in the confines of my mind;

If you wake up I'll take more time off from work.

We'll take Cerebus to all the dog parks you want.

I'll tell you I love you...

A weak scoff escapes me and the tears come flooding spontaneously. They sear through my lashes like hot water boiling over the surface.

Why didn't I tell her sooner?

I know the answer but I still burn with guilt anyway. Being afraid of love is not a good enough answer. There was no good answer.

A knock on the door startles me and in comes Hecate. I don't hide my face and seeing tears on my face stuns her a second.

"Sorry," she clears her throat, "Demeter is on the way."

My hand grips 'Seph's a little tighter.

"One minute."

Hecate nods and shuts the door, her silhouette remaining out front to keep a lookout.

Beep...beep...beep...

I rise and slowly let go of 'Seph, her soft fingers brush against mine before limply settling back onto her hospital bed.

The stubborn part of me doesn't want to leave but I know what my presence might do. A small bitter smile taints my sullen demeanor.

"You made me forget what it was like to be alone in the dark."

I closed my eyes fast, my lashes trembling violently as I fought back the urge to collapse at her side. I can feel our time rapidly slipping away. I don't want her to think I didn't come to see her.

I mean, of course 'Seph would never think that but I want her to know that I was here. So I turn to Artemis' flower vase sitting on the small night stand beside her and hold up my hand.

A black dahlia blossoms out of nothing and nestles perfectly in the center. I touch the skin above my heart where my tattoo of the same flower is. Our flower.

"Hades," Hecate's voice strains through the door in a rushed whisper. "Time's up."

Shortly after, a familiar voice shouts; "Persephone!"

Beep...beep...beep...

Hurried footsteps shuffle up to the door. Without a second thought I bend down and plant a quick kiss atop Seph's cheek.

Beep, beep...beep...

I hear Hecate trying to stall by urging Demeter to calm down but then the door knob twists. I disappear before they open the door in full view to find 'Seph alone, the dahlia in perfect bloom.