Spending Time Together

When I began to wake up, I felt my arm around something...? But I'm only near...! Nine! I see I'm hugging Nine, his arm around me and my head was nuzzled at his chest. I can't believe that we're actually cuddling! My face flushed with embarrassment and slightly scooted myself away trying no to wake him up but then...

"Neh..." He wiggles a bit awake and turns toward me realizing our position. "AH!" His whole body flung itself off the bed. I giggle at his reaction, though I probably would've done the same thing if I were him.

He rubs his head a bit from the fall and stares at me looking like a cherry soda. "Clingy much?" He smirks at me. Can't believe him, making such a claim! His lights turned on after we looked at each other for a while. The pain in my head came back again as I jut down a bit from the pain.

"Oh, food. I should probably get that for you." Nine gets up from the floor and scurries out probably avoiding the situation real quick. I know Nine would probably deter me from walking around, but I wanted to follow him. I didn't like being alone at all. Especially if a friend is only a few steps away!

With a staggering motion, I make my way toward the great smell coming from the left side of his place.

"Nine~! Where are you~" My words elongate as I look around to try to find the yellow fox. I opened a door that showed a small kitchenette with the fox wagging his tails and humming to a song playing on the radio next to him. I lean on the doorway admiring his broad shoulders...Wait

"So, you decided to get up and move around even after you fainted?" A pancake flies up and flips back into the pan he held. I guess I couldn't keep myself hidden from him. He turns toward me and motions for me to sit at his small round table.

A plate of pancakes and eggs was placed in front of me and Nine sat right across from me. "Oh, thank you!" I smile at him and gladly take a bit from a pancake. It didn't taste bad but it wasn't as good as Rebel's cooking. The mediocre taste lingered in my mouth as I continued our conversation.

"Nine? S-sleep well?"

"Hm? Um, sure..." He shyly replies and eats an entire egg. "Look, I'm not sure how long you need to rest, but I've got things prepared for two people to last two weeks." I look back up at him and beam at his selflessness.

"So." I nod my head up, "who's the selfless one now" my grin grows wider as his face turns bright red.

"I- you- ugh. You're the one who got into this situation in the first place!"

"Hey! I was helping people that care about me, so I consider it a win either way."

"A-anyways, you can stay here if you want. I'm not sure what your...guardians would think though."

"Um, well I probably can't say I was with you. They kinda, sorta, hate you right now..." I twiddle my fingers telling him that. "Oh yeah, that's why I came. To clear your name, even though I did see you take the prism shard." My eyes grew stern when I said the last part 'cause it felt a bit like betrayal even if he does have a reason.

"Clear my name? Look, don't get yourself involved in something that doesn't concern you. If you stay put in your little bubble, you'll be safe and sound." His fork pokes at his fluffy pancake. My plate is half empty but I was already feeling full.

"I want to be part of this rebellion! This place is my home too!" The room made my voice echo on the metal kitchenette.

"This can't be anyone's true home..." Nine whispers to himself. I caught the phrase but I shoved it away.

—-

It was amazing how fast time flew! Two weeks had already passed and I stayed at Nine's place the whole time. There wasn't much to do except read or hang out with Nine as he worked on new projects.

I felt better after only 3 days, but I didn't want to leave so I pretended to faint a couple of times to make it believable. Those few times I pretended, he would carry me back to the bed and caressed my face before leaving to continue his work.

I tried not to think about Rebel or Knucks and their possible reaction to this whole situation.

I decided this is gonna be my last night here. I wanted to cherish every moment with my new friend. Sure, we argued at the beginning about the rebellion, yet it always resolved after a few minutes passed by.

Nine snored a little every night however it was a clear signal that he was asleep. That's when I took my time to snuggle next to him and get into a more comfortable position. After some time, his body would adjust to me and hold me closer to where I could feel him breathing on me.

"(y/n)?" I froze hearing my name hoping he was just sleep talking.

"(y/n), I know you're awake." He tightened his grip on me which caused me to move a little.

"Yeah? So what?" I defend myself attempting to sound confident and calm though my nerves could be heard at the end of my sentences.

"When did I become your personal teddy bear?" His eyes gaze to me and I widen my eyes at his statement.

"Phew, when did-um, you think you could do the same" I couldn't get the right words out and returned a weak reply. "Oh, Nine, eh, tonight will be my last night here. I'm feeling a lot better now, so I should probably head back tomorrow."

"Go figures, I was wondering when you'd be going." He replies.

"Hm? What do you mean?"

"Well, after the third fake faint, I guessed that you were feeling better earlier in the week." He knew I was faking them!? Why didn't he say anything!? I puffed my cheek and turned my back to him.
"(y/n), you're gonna make my arm fall asleep like that."

"GOOD!" I pressed harder on his arm until I felt his other hand flip me toward his face readjusting himself.

My eyes grew heavier but I didn't want to fall asleep just yet. "Nine, are you busy tomorrow?"

He gives me a confused look. I blush as he moves.

"As my friend, I obligate you to walk me back to the Rebellion base."

"F-friend?" He looks up to the ceiling.

"Why yeah, no friend shares their house with a stranger for a week." I giggle at a somewhat dumb, question.

"Ah, you're right about that. It's just...I don't have much experience with that."

"I know...before coming here I ran into a couple of teenagers that knew you..." He tensed up before I patted his chest to calm down a bit. His breath was heavier than before too.

"You were at an orphanage?"

"...yeah...it wasn't a pleasant time." His reply comes back cold.

"Me too!" I gave a simple smile to him hoping to ease his anxiety. "R-really?"
"Yeah! But something bad happened to the orphanage and I was left wondering about the city. Then Rebel and Knucks found me and basically adopted me." His silence grew louder by the second.

"Was it a fire? At the orphanage I mean?" Surprised by the accuracy of his statement, I reply with a nod.

"Were you there?"

"Briefly. I was at that orphanage for a week before I had to start living on the streets."

"I'm..." A yawn escaped mid-sentence, "sorry..." And my eyes finally shut.

"It's fine. No need to worry about that."