Chapter 24: Substitute Marriage

In this campaign, the head of the Wei army was the veteran general Zhao Tong. Second Prince Li Zhongqian escorted the grain and supplies. The third and fourth princes each commanded a team of 2,000 men to support each side.

  Crown Prince Li Xuanzhen stayed in the capital.

  Li Yaoying was afraid that the Eastern Palace would take advantage of this opportunity to assassinate Li Zhongqian, and sent people to closely monitor the movement of the Eastern Palace.

  For several days in a row, there was no suspicious movement from the Eastern Palace.

  The Eastern Palace's inside man only sent a message: Princess Fukang and the Yelu tribe were getting closer, and may be conspiring to rescue the Grand Princess Yiqing.

  Yaoying frowned.

  She didn't know what happened, but this life's Zhu Luyun was crazier than in her last life. Last year, she even secretly colluded with Southern Chu spies, causing the Wei army to lose several cities. Li De punished her to ponder over her mistakes behind closed doors. The former dynasty's officials, led by Prime Minister Zheng, made a rare plea of leniency for her.

In order to atone for Zhu Luyun's crime, Li Xuanzhen took the initiative to lead the army to recover Jiang county. He returned with serious injuries, narrowly escaping from death.

  Zhu Luyun was both moved and guilty, and took care of Li Xuanzhen without rest. Crown Princess Zheng Biyu thought they had reconciled, and inquired the imperial astronomer, preparing to pick an auspicious date for the wedding.

  Even the green hut was set up for the wedding, and then the two had a big fight once again. The marriage ended up being called off.

  Yaoying was uninterested in Li Xuanzhen and Zhu Luyun's splitting up then getting back together, only fearing that Zhu Luyun would attract trouble and bring disaster to others.

  Her fears were soon confirmed.

  Two days later, Yaoying was sitting in front of the window writing a letter to the faraway Li Zhongqian when there was a sudden rush of urgent footsteps from the corridor.

  The birds pecking at the fruit in front of the steps were startled, flapping their wings and swooping into the dense and luxuriant flower bushes, twittering and chirping.

  "Your Highness!" Xie Qing crossed the threshold at a brisk pace, stood outside the screen, and said after giving obeisance, "Something has happened."

Yaoying's heart thumped, and the violet hair brush in her hand stopped for a moment on the paper, the ink dripping down and gathering in a light brown puddle.

  She put down the pen, got up and left the study, asking, "What happened?"

  Xie Qing said with lowered eyes, "Today there was a big banquet in the palace. His Majesty received envoys from various countries in the Linde Hall to watch a polo match. Princess Fukang also attended the banquet. The warriors of the Yelu tribe won, and His Majesty commended the warriors. The warriors said they admired the Central Plains empire and wanted to join the Great Wei, requesting His Majesty to bestow a noble woman from the Central Plains to be their tribal chief's wife."

  He paused for a moment.

  "Without waiting for His Majesty to speak, Princess Fukang emerged from the crowd and said she was willing to go to the grasslands to make peace, agreeing in public to Yelu tribal chief's marriage proposal."

  Yaoying froze for a long time, not daring to believe her ears, "How was this possible?"

  How could her marriage be so casual? Was Zhu Luyun crazy?