Chapter 157

Without a word, he went around the folding screen and entered the inner chamber.

The guard hesitated but then realized that Princess Wenzhao was unwell and in need of care. Her attendants had just fled the city in the chaos, which explained why the regent asked about the maids.

He sought out Alanruo and requested a pot of hot water, which he then brought to the main house.

"Your Excellency," the guard said, "I just inquired with Alanruo. The fire at the post house has been extinguished, but we don't know the situation at the palace. The Imperial Guards have been going door to door, issuing warnings. The city is now under martial law, and if anyone was caught wandering will be arrested and detained."

It meant that Li Yaoying had to endure and survive the night.

..........

In the dead of night, even mentioning the idea of going out to find an attendant would likely attract the attention of the guards.

Sultan Gu nodded, taking the copper pot. "Go and find a set of clean clothes."

The guard said: "Prince Regent, there are clothes in the palace, but they are all for men."

  Sultan Gu had already turned around and entered the inner room, his hoarse voice came through the screen: "Bring it here."

The guard complied, fetch some new clothes, clean beddings and towels, he then boiled a few buckets of hot water. Together with Alanruo, they carried these into the main house and placed them in the inner chamber.

Behind the folding screen, a faint lamp flickered gently.

Sultan Gu stood in front of the bed, his figure was tall and upright. The bed curtains were tightly drawn and surrounded that one couldn't see clearly the situation of Princess Wen Zhao on the bed, but her delicate and fragile figure could faintly be seen accompanied by the rhythm of her weak and labored breathing.

Alanruo couldn't help but look up at the bed, only to meet a cold piercing gaze.

Sultan Gu cast a glance at him. It felt as if a bucket of cold water had been poured over Alanruo's head; he shuddered and quickly averted his gaze, retreating with the guard.

The door closed from the outside.

Inside the room, Sultan Gu turned to face the bed and raised the curtains.

The dim light fell in front of the bed, where Yao Ying lay on her side, huddled and tightly clutching her arms. Her clothes were disheveled, revealing a hint of her fair skin. The inner layers of her attire were drenched with sweat, exposing her snowy complexion. Her temples were moist with sweat, and her hair clung to her cheeks, glistening damply.

Her consciousness was hazy, and she felt the brightness, blinking her dense eyelashes weakly before whispering, "General Su, I'm sorry to trouble you... It's just my old illness, it's nothing serious."

Even at this moment, her voice remained soft, gentle, dignified, and composed.

"Has the princess forgotten to take her medicine?" asked Sultan Gu.

Yao Ying shook her head on the pillow. "It's not time yet... I have calculated it ..."

She was born with a congenital deficiency and took the gel pills every month. She remembered the last time she took the pills very clearly. It was on the way to Gaochang, only ten days ago. She had been feeling dizzy and feverish tonight. She thought it was due to anxiety, only to realize it was her recurring ailment.

Sultan Gu continued, "Does the princess have any pills on her?"

Yao Ying trembled, clutching her arms tightly, and remained silent.