The Prodigal Child

Cyan has just made it through the hole in the floor ice puzzle in Circhester City gym, clearing it quicker than any competitor before her. Cyan didn't have time to waste on puzzles, she wanted to continue to show the whole region her skill as a Pokemon Trainer. She walks through the final hallway just after the gym puzzle, making sure to go slow so she can savor the feeling of walking out unto the stadium, surrounded by the cheers of everyone who came to watch her battle.

 Once Cyan clears the hallway she is temporarily blinded by the bright afternoon light... or at least she wish she was. It's actually an extremely cloudy day in Circhester, and only traces of light can be seen breaking through the clouds. This disappoints Cyan, as she had been envisioning walking out unto the pitch under the shining sun, her bright white hair sparkling under the sunlight like with her past five challenges, but it's no big issue. She walks onto the middle of the field, surrounded by people cheering her arrival, and also the entrance of Circhester City's gym leader Melony, who is walking to the middle of the field from the opposite side of the stadium, creating a familiar sort of staredown as the two walk towards the middle of the stadium, taking their places inside of the Pokeball shaped circle. They stare at each other, Melony seemingly trying to size up her opponent while Cyan is just impatiently waiting for them to begin. After about a minute of silence from both parties, Melony starts to speak in a gentle, yet commanding voice.

"Well, fancy that! You managed to reach me without falling into a single hole on the way here! Not many challengers have done so in the long history of this gym, so pat yourself on the back. Though, do be careful. My battle style is rather severe, like the biting winds of a Hailstorm. You would do best not to underestimate my strength!"

Melony chuckles a bit, complimenting and warning Cyan that this opponent will be far tougher than any she's faced yet. Cyan is almost entirely unphased though, and keeps up her bright and energetic, yet slightly intimidating demeanor.

"Wow, if you're talking like that, you clearly haven't seen me battle before! That's all good though, it'd make clobberin' ya significantly more fun!"

Cyan talks loudly and tauntingly, boasting her own strength against Melony. Melony is only slightly annoyed at Cyan's comment, though. She's challenged a number of young, loudmouthed challengers in the ten or so years she's been a gym leader, so talk like that is just static to her.

"Well then, you certainly resemble my son in terms of your disposition, now I reckon I won't hold a single thing back in our battle!"

Melony responds coldly. The gentleness in her voice had all but vanished, leaving only her cold and commanding tone. She draws a single Pokeball, ready to begin the battle. Cyan, having waited impatiently for this battle to finally start, quickly draws and throws a Pokeball, revealing her Inteleon. Melony chooses to lead with her Frosmoth, she doesn't have an advantage type wise but nor does Cyan, so she feels safe leading with her standard lead Pokemon. Almost as soon as the Frosmoth leaves her ball, Cyan shouts a command at her Inteleon.

"Ace, Snipe Shot!"

Inteleon kneels down in position to fire a highly pressurized bolt of water, so much so it takes on the properties of a bullet in terms of its speed and power. Cyan's command is a bit slow though, despite her quick reaction time, so Melony has the chance to yell a command of her own.

"Frosmoth, dodge that attack and swiftly follow up with Bug Buzz."

"Ace, adjust aim to your left in account for Frosmoth's speed! Aim for the wing!!"

Inteleon does exactly as he's told, adjusting his aim to the left and firing right as the Frosmoth begins to dodge the attack telegraphed to go straight at her previous position. It's a direct hit to Frosmoth's left wing, interrupting her Bug Buzz attack and landing a critical hit. Melony is shook, how could she have predicted that Cyan knew the direction Frosmoth was going to dodge, but also that her Inteleon could predict her Frosmoth's speed and adjust his shot accordingly? It seemed planned out, and that's because it was. The speed of which she said her command was intentionally slow so Melony could pick up on the attack and order a dodge, causing Frosmoth's wing to be hit, leaving her wide open for another-