Chapter One - How It Starts

Ashley.

As I walked to school, I felt the cold breeze of a winter day in New York. Even though today felt like it was going to be an odd day, the cool breeze caressing my face allowed me to forget about my anxiousness for a bit.

"Looks like it might snow today." said someone behind me.

I would've been startled by the sudden break of silence, but the fact that it was my best friend, Alexandra Blake, helped me stay calm.

I turned to face her, "I'm really hoping it does." I smiled as we walked towards Brooklyn High school together.

I wonder what kind of stupid idiotic thing will happen today in school.

Yesterday, my friend George Mathews started a fight -well George didn't really start it- with Louis Tomlinson for whistling at Alex and I. I appreciated George for defending us, because we're not objects, but if Alex and I hadn't been there to stop George and Louis from fighting, one of my closest friends would've been as good as dead against someone like Louis. I really don't know the guy and I don't talk to him either, but I did hear he is a member of a gang named Kings.

Kings is one of the most well-known gangs around here, especially when our school is right in the middle of their territory. No one dares to mess with them, except for the ocasional rival gangs that come and go but they never fight for long. The Kings always get what they want, as cliche as it sounds. You would think the cops would get involved in trying to lock these guys up, but they never seem to try. It must be hard to catch and arrest skilled criminals... so I've heard.

There's five main members of the gang, I'm pretty sure there's members from all kinds of places but the most well-known ones are Liam Payne, Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Louis Tomlinson, and Harry Styles.

Harry Styles is the leader of the gang, also known as the most ruthless one of all of them. There are rumors going around that Harry once killed someone simply because he didn't like the look on his face, which sounds ridiculous. Rumors are rumors after all, but people are always careful whenever he's around.

No one's actually seen them do anything. If they have, they wouldn't dare speak of it. So we can only base our knowledge of these guys from the rumors that float around school.

"Ashley? Hello?" said Alex waving a hand in my face.

"Oh, uh, yes?" I asked snapping back to reality.

"You ok? What were you thinking about?" She asked looking concerned.

"I'm just worried about George." I sighed looking at my feet as we walked.

"Oh, well I'm sure everything will be okay." She said, her tone of voice not sounding convincing at all.

Her lack of confidence in what she said made me nervous. If the rumors are true, who knows what these terrible people can do to George. I couldn't bare the thought of seeing him hurt during one of his football games, I don't know how I'd react if Louis ever managed to physically hurt him.

"What if those guys do something to George?" I said letting out a shaky breath.

Unfortunately, it was a well known fact that whenever you messed with any member of Kings, there was always a price to pay afterwards.

"I'm sure everything will be fine... I hope." She mumbled as we walked through the double doors of our school.

**********

After about an hour of working on my math quiz, I was finally able to finish. Math hasn't really been my bet subject, but I've managed pretty well in Mrs. Garcia's class. As usual, I was one of the first to finish.