Chapter 8 - Attack & Apology

It started with a letter.

The words are written in such elegant penmanship that would give an impression of someone important, grand, and top pedestal. As soon as this no less expensive letter came to Riddle and had it opened, the content opposed its elegance with obnoxiousness that hammered onto the boy's confidence.

His parents stated it wasn't enough.

Despite everything he did at school and dorm, they believed Riddle wasn't giving his all and became under the impression he had a distraction.

All because Lancelot became ahead of him and took the golden first spot wherein he came second.

"Why must they do this to me?" Riddle left the cafeteria in haste, knowing the anger building in him would burst soon. He returned to his office at the dorm and punched the wall with one fist. Gritting his teeth, he continued with the monologue. "It was only one point difference for crying out loud" One point! How could that make his mum think he was being lenient?

He was still prefect, the intimidating leader of Heartslabyul who memorized every single rules at Night Raven College. Among everyone else, Riddle was the only one who knew those rules by heart.

Then the frustration has gotten over him which led to scolding Mary. It wasn't part of his plan to involve the clueless girl but she spoke up to him albeit she was obviously nervous and barely making sense.

"Damn it!" Riddle saw black in his vision again, this was getting worse and he wasn't sure why. The anger was throbbing achingly within his chest.

-

Lilia didn't bother hiding the scowl on his handsome, boyish face. "You, headmaster should be in your school not out here doing Merlin knows what" He rolled his eyes visibly and continued grumbling. "Why do you have to pull me here too? You could have done it after my vacant period"

At the outskirts and far side of Lewis Capital, a black carriage from Night Raven College was parked with its black stallions patiently waiting by the grass. Its passengers–Headmaster Crowley stepped out and he was accompanied by a shorter male with unique features–oddly cut straight hair with highlights and large magenta eyes: Lilia Vanrouge, the Vice Dorm Head of Diasomnia and on his third year at NRC.

"Apart from managing delinquents and doing school-related work, this is also my responsibility" Dire Crowley declared, he still had his mask on. "And you are here because your home is the closest neighboring land to the school that will help me in providing defense for everyone here"

Lilia had no counter to that, he wouldn't deny giving aid because surely Malleus would want the same. "We don't even know what we are dealing with yet"

"I lost countless vacation leaves for this problem but I'm starting to see some pattern" Headmaster explained, "Most individuals who were affected by this unknown disease were either mentally unstable or undergoing serious problems which fueled it further making them lose control."

The forest they went through was dim, blanketed in gloominess and there were splotches of dried black everywhere. Lilia also stepped on some charred black stones. "When did this start happening again?" Prior to this school year, he was preoccupied with things at Thorn Valley, they were engaged in a fight against possessed beasts, whereabouts not known. It took them a while to fend them off.

"I don't know but..." The masked mage halted in mid-steps, pondering. "Wait...the Wedge above...I already saw it before..." Even before the school ceremony happened and Divus found him in the office groggy.

They exited the eerie woods and both lifted their gazes up at the sky, the lilac line was thicker and looked like a wound because of its features.

"Whatever do you fairies know about this phenomenon?" Dire asked.

Lilia exhaled, "Unfortunately not a lot, it was one of those mysteries that even we couldn't comprehend. But whenever that line appears before, they say it always means trouble and bad news"

-

Mary didn't leave from her position under the tree, she stayed and cried until her tears ran out. All the while she was patting the tiny rabbit's head without looking at it directly.

"If I only have another choice, I will go elsewhere," She said sadly, Riddle's words remained echoing within the rooms in her head.

Sounds of approaching footsteps had Mary stopped in her melancholic musing and was now splashed with fear as she saw the same boy with a pair of animal ears from the ceremony.

This boy who seemed beastly sneered at her, baring some sharp parts of his teeth at her. "Fancy seeing you here alone, useless herbivore. Fate must be working in my favour today because I found you in here without anyone to get in my way"

Ringing bells of panic and alert sounded in the girl's head, she got up and was ready to sprint away but the boy was quicker–blocking and tossing Mary back on the ground.

"What do you want with me? Please don't hurt me, I'm not doing anything" She whimpered, pale as a chalk. Still, despite the terror, Mary covered the rabbit with her hand as an attempt to protect it from the boy.

Something was really weird in a bad way about this half-boy, half-something else. His eyes slowly shifted into black slits and black liquid oozed out of his grinning lips while those hands grew sharp and thick claws! "You are loathsome, seeing a herbivore like you without a spine makes my blood boil in irritation! This world is a jungle!"

From the boy's animalistic stance, he emitted a black aura that resembled smoke. Then he lunged at Mary with a growl.

"No!!!" Mary closed her eyes and covered the rabbit with her body, she waited for the pain of those claws digging deep in her skin but she felt none. More minutes passed but only the sound of the boy howling in agony was what she heard. Opening her eyes, she was startled to see Riddle standing before her and holding his magic pen tightly in one hand while her attacker was on the ground holding his eyes.

Riddle was unfazed and didn't look like he regretted a thing, "Don't be a baby, you knew that spell was only meant to temporarily cause you blindness, hope it will be enough to knock some senses in your head" He scoffed.

Did he just...save her life?

On the ground, there were drops of black ink which evidently came from the hostile boy with ears and tail.

Riddle turned to face the gaping redhead, he couldn't help but sigh. "Why do you have such a foolish look on your face? Is it your default expression?"

"I'm not!" Mary was flustered, she didn't intend to stare like an idiot.

Someone else came, this one exited the greenhouse and was yawning–he was the boy with lion ears and a tail. "Huh?" His gaze was at the boy almost crying loudly about his eyes. Then he gave Riddle a questioning look. "What did you do to Rasmus?"

"Leona," Riddle called the other boy who was taller than Rasmus and his uniform was unkempt. "I was only putting some sense in his T-Rex skull, he attempted to attack someone again" He pointed at the girl behind him.

Leona gave Mary a quick curious glance, "Huh, so you were upset he was bothering you and your girlfriend"

That comment made Riddle's annoyance flare while Mary shook her head in intense denial while being red-faced. "We're not! Absolutely not!" She exclaimed.

"I am not associated with her and will never want to" Riddle retorted, he didn't realize his words affected Mary again. "Furthermore, what he was about to do was against the rules so I only acted properly. He wasn't hurt, I just temporarily flashed a blinding light in his eyes"

The tall boy with lion ears only grunted, he was not pleased about having this scene greeted him after waking up from a well-spent nap. "Rasmus had been acting weirdly since the first day, whatever made him go rabid, still can't tell"

"He is in your dorm, he's your problem so fix him," Riddle said pointedly. With one sharp look at Mary's way he left.

Mary wasn't sure what that look meant but she refused to be left alone with Leona or Rasmus, she quickly picked up Blanc–the name she mentally gave the white rabbit–and followed Riddle.