~The Ruse~

I looked at my unnaturally dolled up face in the mirror and rolled my eyes in annoyance. I hated wearing heavy makeup and normally made do with just a smidgen of kajal at the tips of my eyelids whenever I attended college or stepped out of the house to run any errands. Even if I were to attend any events or parties, I'd just apply some light lipstick and consider it a job well done. And yet, here I was, sitting like a mute spectator in a rather unfamiliar room as Mariam applied extensive rouge on my face so that I effectively looked the part of a bashful young damsel who was being presented to a suitor for the first time, with the hope that he'd accept her hand in marriage. The whole thought of parading myself before some stranger almost made me feel as if I were some sort of an inanimate object, up for grabs at the market- ready to be sold to the highest bidder. The sensation was utterly sickening and I nearly felt like abandoning my plan in entirety.

Murtasim Khan- I'm going to kill you for putting me through this!

It had been two days since I'd agreed to meet with Arsalan and his family upon Anwar Khan's request. Even though I'd done so just in order to evoke a response from Murtasim, Anwar Khan seemed quite happy with my decision, making me feel slightly guilty for deceiving him. Although Chachi Salma Begum had been opposed to it initially, once I confirmed that I was ready to let go of my inheritance, she immediately expressed immense elation and flipped her stance entirely, instead offering me her blessing. However, the main individual whose reaction I'd hoped to witness first hand upon receiving the news, was nowhere to be seen. He'd apparently pulled a Houdini act just hours after I'd lost consciousness, running off to the village to handle some urgent matters there, in relation to the destruction the Maliks had caused.

Even though I was extremely annoyed at the fact that he'd disappeared with the deliberate intention of avoiding me, there was a part of me that was extremely worried for him after the way he'd broken down in front of me the other night while sharing how disturbed he was with the violence that'd ensued in the village- an event that he somehow held himself accountable for even though it was grossly out of his control. I'd tried my best to postpone Arsalan's visit to the Khan Haveli until Murtasim returned, but unfortunately it seemed like the date of Murtasim's homecoming was up in the air. Since neither Chachi Begum nor Anwar Khan could guarantee a return date, they thought it was best to not delay matters and have me meet with Arsalan's family as soon as possible. I'd agreed grudgingly, hoping that receiving word of the meeting would be enough to have Murtasim oppose the marriage and give our relationship a chance.

"Bas thoda aur..." Mariam said absentmindedly as she laid the finishing touches of her heavy-handed artistry on my cheek.

I shook my head in impatient disapproval as she continued to powder my cheek fastidiously.

"Ab aap yeh haar bhi pehen le, Meerab...Maa Begum ne khaas aapke liye bhijwaya hai..." Mariam said, as she tried to dislodge a frighteningly heavy neck piece from a velvety maroon jewelry box that reminded me of a dog collar rather than an ornament.

"Mariam. Please...bahut zyaada ho raha hai. Main aise zevar kabhi bhi nahi pehenti...main comfortable nahi hoon. Earrings pehen liye na? Bas, wahi kaafi hai." I said awkwardly as I grabbed the box from her and immediately placed it out of her reach.

Mariam was just about to respond, when Haya's voice loomed in the background, immediately making me clench my fists in irritation.

"Kyun? Tum ab Khan khandan ki beti ho- tumhe in sab ki aadat daalni padegi. Aur iss ghar ka yahi riwaaz hai, ki agar koi ladka dekhne aaye toh ladki ko har haal mein saj savarkar hi pesh hona chahiye..." Haya said, her tone smug and contented.

As soon as I observed her reflection in the mirror, I had an immediate urge to smack her right across her jaw in order to wipe the satisfied grin off of her face. However, I knew this action would be frowned upon, so I decided to control my temper.