Chapter 2

www.fanfiction.net

Bésame Mucho Chapter 2, a hetalia | axis powers fanfic

Autumn, 1939
A village in Italy

.

"Don't get too far ahead, Feliciano!" called Grandpa Roma. It was a sunny autumn morning, and the village bustled with activity as Lovino and Grandpa Roma walked leisurely along the cobblestone streets. In the last few months, the everyday, unchanging village existence Lovino had lived in his entire life had turned upside down. Already there was not enough produce at the market. People whispered on street corners, dark murmurings and rumours and half broken conversations. Grandpa Roma spent all his time at the oldCantina Verde talking with people instead of in the fields. But today, with the sun shining and the streets crowded, it almost seemed like a normal day in the village once again. It was a nice change. People stopped frequently to say good morning to Roma or to give a cheerful greeting to Feliciano, though Lovino was not surprised that no one spared a moment for him. The three of them were headed to the cantina, and as usual Feliciano kept getting excited over nothing, skipping and running ahead.

"I can't help it that you're walking so slow!" Feliciano called back. "Hurry up, we have to stop at the fountain, Lovino and I always stop at the fountain when we come to town, I even have a coin and I already know what I'm going to wish for and oh, hello Antonio!"

Lovino nearly tripped over. His pulse quickened when he caught sight of Antonio walking through the crowd and waving cheerfully. "Good morning, Feli! Roma." Antonio's smile brightened. "Lovino." Lovino quickly averted his eyes.

Antonio had come and gone frequently from the village in the last months, but these last few days were the longest he had stayed since he had first dropped into their lives back in spring. Lovino had spent the days trying unsuccessfully to ignore both Antonio and the way he made him feel. Although Antonio had not said anything to make Lovino punch him again, he still managed to make Lovino's heart pound uncomfortably and cause an unwanted and embarrassing blush to spread from his neck. Especially when he thought he caught Antonio staring at him... he was never quite sure, however, since the Spaniard always looked away immediately. Antonio was so friendly, so happy, so different to everyone else who always ignored Lovino in favour of his little brother. Even the way Antonio said Lovino's name was different. Lovino was not sure how to understand it - a grown man should not make him feel like this. It was frustrating, and confusing, and just a little scary... but also, secretly, strangely new and exciting.

Roma stopped briefly and shook Antonio's hand affectionately in greeting. "Antonio! Are you just heading to the cantina now? Your rooms are directly opposite, aren't they?"

"They are, but it is such a fine morning I had to take a walk. If you are headed that way now, I'll join you." They continued walking with Antonio beside them; Lovino ignoring him, Feliciano jumping excitedly around him.

"Antonio, will you come to the fountain with us? Lovino and I are going to throw in coins the way Grandpa says they do in Rome and make wishes and..."

"You're going to, Feliciano, I don't do that sort of thing," said Lovino quickly.

Feliciano turned and looked at him strangely. "Yes you do."

Lovino tried to stop his cheeks from burning. "I used to, when I was a kid!"

"But you did it last week, remember, you wished for a guitar like you always... ow! Why did you kick me, Lovino?"

Antonio laughed loudly. "That sounds like fun, Feliciano! I think I'll throw a coin in myself!"

"What will you wish for?" asked Feliciano eagerly.

"Ah, but if you tell anyone what you wish for, it won't come true." Antonio winked at Lovino. Lovino scowled back.