Encounter

Richard stood at the edge of a field of grass. He couldn't understand why the "Map of Steps Taken" lead him here. He fumbled with his torch to get a better view of the map.

"Bugger, the map maker must have been a drunken plank." Richard said felling a ting of remorse for buying it off the man at the pub.

The Map of Steps Taken's name could have been his first clue towards a fraud. The map was supposed to lead him towards a village of anthropomorphic cats, not a damned open field!

Guess he was very hopeful at the time. Yet he couldn't understand why his own steps have been written upon the map. At least the map is good for marking your current location and back.

Studying his surroundings, he found himself walking around the open field. Richard knew that heading into the field would be suicidal. He made his the journey in the night, which made things harder to see in the woods. These parts are said to contain the dangerous of predators. Beings who have taken the physical forms of humans, yet are not. If a whole village of cats have settled in a prospering community, there is no telling what else is out there. For many years, these types of humanoid beings were said to be of legend, but ever since a mad scientist presented humanoid animals towards the gain of the military forces. The experiment went wrong, as all the part animal/part human beings were released by a malfunctioned lock, or so they say.

Richard is leading a mission to gain a precious item, the Gauntlet of Time. The item was under the surveillance of the Enlightened Ones, a group of immortal beings who kept their world safe from destruction, but had somehow been lost. Rumors have it that the gauntlet is now used and guarded by the village of nekos. The same village Richard is trying to seek. What would cats want to do with the Gauntlet of Time anyway? To Richard's knowledge, the only good use for cats is to have them lay lazily around one's household. His best bet over there use of the Time Gauntlet would be to extend their relaxation time. But, nevertheless, he was never very fond of cats anyway.

"Hey handsome." Said an unknown feminine voice. Startling Richard from his train of thought.

"Who's there? I demand you show yourself!" Commanded Richard, feeling a bit pale.

"There's no need to be so rude," the voice said with offense, "I just came over to see why a guy like you is by his lonesome self."

Richard drew his sword as the rustle of leaves came from the trees above him. He tried to spot the creature with his torch, but the being slipped into the darkness before light hit her. There are no strangers that lived around these parts of the woods. The only living beings that could be close to him are the creatures of the forest itself.

"How do you know I'm not alone?" Richard taunted.

"Well," the sound of lapping emitted from the creature, "I only smell one of your kind here... And what a delicious smell it is." The being added.

"I'm in no mood of snacks myself." Richard said as he began to furiously type on his interface.

\protocol Safe and Sound: Predator Initiate? >> Y/N

--> y

\protocol preparing...

\bot arrival... (00:00) Calculating...

\error bot not found

"Just my luck," Richard said sourly, "today is not my day."

A scaly tail protruded from a nearby tree and swiped Richard's sword from his hand, sending the sword flying into the starry night. Then the tail wrapped around the torso of the astonished Richard.

Bringing its victim closer to its owner's face, Richard saw the creature's features. The body of a female human being, blossoming from a snake like tail, which was now tightly squeezing on Richard's chest. The female being could easily be from the Greek legends of Medusa, but lacked the snake-ish like hair, where, instead, flowed long maroon hair that shined under the moon's light. Her eyes glowing red, with the reflection of hunger. Her tail decorated with the colors of pink with yellow shaped triangles lined along her red scales on either side fading into her pale human skin.

Richard read about these beings in his library; they are called nagas. But do to his situation, he had no time to study them.

Richard, gasping for air, asked,"Would you happen to have a clue as to where a village of cat-people could be found."

"As a matter of fact I do," the naga strengthened her pressuring tail, "but I can't think on an empty stomach."

"Well in that case," Richard pointed towards his fallen satchel, "maybe you'd find something good in there."

"Really!?!" The naga quickly let Richard fall from her tail and darted for the bag. It looked as if shehadn't had anytthing in ages as she rummaged through his things. She brought out a ham and cheese sandwich, which has been carefully wrapped around a napkin. She ate the sandwich napkin and all.

"That was sooo goood!" She said as she licked her fingers.

"Well, yeah I guess... it actually tastes better without the napkin, but that's just my preference." Richard said dusting himself off from the fall. "Well know that your done eating, mind telling me where the village is?"

"Of course, uhm, I think it's east from here or somewhat."

"... Thanks, I guess I'll be off." Richard began to gather his belongings and turned towards thw east as indicated by the naga. He took a couple of steps, but turned around with a thought. "You know, for a second there I thought you were..."

"Nah, humans give me indigestion," the naga said with disgust from the thought of it, "last time I tried a stunt like that a human punctured from the inside with a knife." She pointed towards a hole in the mid-section of her tail."I'm never doing that again."

"Are you going to be alright? That doesn't look too good."

"Pfft, it's not like it's going to kill me sweetheart."

"Call me Richard, there's no need for pet names."

"Ok Rich, in that case my name is "

"Let's hope we cross again in times of need."

"Right back at yeah."

And with that, Richard started off towards the village, as dawn began to creep. A bit troubled by what had just happened.