Chapter 1 Assignments In Dark Times

Previously...(The ending of "When Darkness Comes")

Once we were all done with setting up the furniture, Owen called a family meeting. Apparently I am included in their family now.

"First of all, I want to say, welcome to the family Sang. At first I had my doubts, but you proved me wrong at every step. I hope you choose to stay with us from now on. Second, at dinner tonight, each of us needs to sign up for the different work rotations. Each day every person has to be willing to work at least six hours. Third, the shelter has a curfew of 10pm. That's the time for lights out. Fourth, Kota, Luke and North, this shelter has a HAM radio. It's frequency works regardless of everything electrical shutting down. You three can contact the other shelters to locate your families. But I don't think they will be back anytime soon. They were in Colorado on a trip when all this happened."

"I don't think I want my mom and sister trying to make that trip. Not after what Sang had to endure. And we only had 80 miles to go."

"I agree with Kota. Uncle can't defend them on his own. We will just have to keep in touch over radio." Luke said thoughtfully.

"Besides, we are fucking adults. We don't need our parents to take care of us anymore." North proclaimed.

"Sounds like this is our family for the rest of time." I quietly spoke.

"Are you okay with that Princess?"

"I am more than okay with that. This family is more than I could ever have hoped to find. I am still in shock all of you are willing to let me be a part. I..." now or never Sang. Pull up the big girl panties and tell them how you really feel. "I love you all."

"Thank the FUCK! We all love you too Trouble!"

I was pulled into hugs and given kisses from all my boys. MY BOYS. I get to claim them all, for the rest of time.
---------
When our family meeting adjured, we entered the mess hall and I was shocked just how many tables they had. It looked like this place could hold about two hundred people. Currently there are only about twenty people sitting at different tables having conversations.

I notice one table has three girls. One has all kinds of piercings and tattoos and her hair is black with green highlights streaking throughout. Another girl has blonde curly hair and has a dark tan. And the last has red hair in a pixie cut. They must be the new girls team that just arrived.

Before I could assess anyone else in the room, Bradley approached Owen and they shook hands. "Attention everyone!" Bradley called, "Besides the Harris team," he was pointing at the girls table, "everyone please welcome the Blackbourne team." Bradley waved his arms out to us and I tentatively stepped behind Silas. I do not like all the new eyes looking at me.

North put his arms around my waist from behind and pulled me into his body in a you are safe move. I heard a rumbling grunt from his chest. I relaxed a bit and followed behind the boys to the tables we would sit at. Each table was round and had six chairs. It didn't seem to take the guys any thought to split up evenly. North pulled me along to sit next to him, Silas sat on my other side. Nathan, and Owen joined us at the table closest to the Harris team's table. Kota, Victor, Luke, Gabriel and Sean sat at the table next to us, but was closest to a table with four guys.

Bradley began talking again, "Before we eat, do not forget to sign up for your work assignments for tomorrow. For the newbies, we enter in through there," he pointed at a door to the left, "Ms. Nancy, Ms. Cheri and Ms. Carolyn have slaved in the kitchen for us. Show your thanks!" Bradley was giving an evil eye to the table of four guys. "Ladies first." He pointed at the Harris team and they stood up, making their way in the doorway. "Sang? You two." He winked at me. I bit my lip and stood up slowly. Owen quickly stood and took a hold of my hand, guiding me toward the left door. "Now the rest of you." Bradley stated loudly before I made it into the serving room.