Chapter 2 - First Page

Haebin woke up early the next morning, prepared breakfast for two, and returned to the living room where Sehun slept last night. She removed the blanket that was wrapping the boy and screamed right next to his ear.

"Wake up, Sehun! Wake up! The house is on fire, Sehun!!!"

"ARGH!!!" Sehun's voice rang through the air as he jolted up from the couch, panicking.

Haebin held back her laughter as she watched her friend frantically looking for the cause of the said fire.

"Where is it? Where's the fire?" The girl eventually burst out laughing when Sehun started waving his blanket in all directions.

Finally realising that it was all just a joke, Sehun stopped what he was doing and looked directly at the girl. His blank and serious stare made Haebin stop laughing immediately.

Looking at the boy's swollen face and the dark circles under his eyes was enough to make her feel bad. She walked to him with a timid smile and apologised immediately.

"Sorry, Hun. I'm just kidding." Haebin didn't expect her apology to be accepted, but at least she tried.

"I'm hungry. What are you cooking?" Sehun suddenly changed the subject. Knowing how Sehun was, Haebin smiled as she perfectly knew that was his way of saying that she was forgiven.

"Bibimbap, a few side dishes, and orange juice. Go wash your face first, I'll prepare the plate." Haebin told the boy before she started walking into the kitchen again.

"Oh, fold the blanket yourself. You know where to put it." She added before going to look for plates and cups in the somewhat disorganised kitchen shelves.

Not long after she served the food, Sehun came to the table with a new pair of clothes. Since he always stopped by the house, his clothes were always in the guest room that he always used whenever he came.

"Sit down." Like an obedient puppy, Sehun sat across from Haebin.

Then, quietly, they enjoyed their breakfast. Haebin was undoubtedly a good cook and Sehun acknowledged that.

"What will you be doing today?" Haebin suddenly started a conversation.

"Hm, I'll go to the cafe as usual. Check the stock. Oh, I plan to meet Sooyou—" Sehun stopped in the middle of his sentence when he realised what he was talking about. His hand that was holding the spoon also stiffened up.

Haebin could only look at him sympathetically. Maybe she shouldn't ask about his schedule. Well, as far as she knew, Sehun had never spent a day without his girlfriend and now that Sooyoung's gone, all that's left were close friends who weren't so many.

"Speaking of her, why didn't you go to her funeral? Or did her family not make it today?" Haebin asked after a while, not showing any intention to change the subject as the curiosity got the best of her.

Sehun went silent. He was swallowing the hard lump in his throat while thinking of an answer.

"Why? You don't know when her family plans to do it?" Haebin questioned again, getting impatient as she waited for his reply.

However, the boy before her remained quiet in his seat, his head hung low and his eyes were looking at either the food—or the floor, Haebin didn't know.

Why do I feel like I'm talking to this table?

"Hun!" Haebin called out as she lightly hit the table and it seemed that this time she managed to pull him back to reality.

"Uh," Sehun paused as he tried to find the right words. "Her parents. They won't let me come to her funeral." He then said.

Haebin's brows furrowed. Questions began to linger in her mind.