1. A Bad Match

---Evelyn POV---

The front door of Havenfield slammed in and Jolie burst in through the door, her face painted as one of pure joy and excitement. Evelyn looked up from where her spoon was halfway to her mouth. She was just in the middle of her breakfast. When Evelyn woke up that morning, it was only about 9:00am, but Jolie had gone out early to go and meet her sweetheart, Brant. Since returning from the Silver towers on her midterms break, she'd spent almost every second with her boyfriend, even though her wasn't on her match lists, which she had received only a few weeks ago.

Lucky. Evelyn had thought, she still had years to go before she got hers, she was only 9 years old. She'd be starting Foxfire next year. Luckily for her, she didn't have to take the entrance exam, as the Ruewen name was a noble one.

"Mother! Evelyn! Father! Everyone come to the living room!" Jolie cried excitedly, kicking off her heels at the door and running past Evelyn to the living room. Evelyn dropped her spoon into her bowl, splashing all over the counter. She trudged into the living room in her pink pyjamas covered orange and black stripy tiger faces at the same time as Grady and Edaline rushed down the stairs.

"What's wrong? What happened?" Grady and Edaline called in unison as the three of your sat down onto the sofa, Grady and Edaline teetering on the edge of the white silk, Evelyn sunk into the plush cushions. Jolie took a deep breath.

"So-oh, I was out with Brant today, and he took me to the place where we first met."

"And..." Edaline gestured for her to continue.

"And I turned away for one second to look at the sunrise. And when I turned back..." Jolie held up her right hand. On her left finger, a glimmering diamond sparkled in the centre of a silver wedding band. Grady looked shocked. Edaline's eyes glittered with relief and happiness, and Evelyn placed a hand over her mouth to stop her from spitting out the fruit she was eating.

"You're getting married?.....to Brant? " She managed. Jolie nodded, excitement filling her eyes.

"Darling...are you sure about this? You'd be a bad match. Do you really want to do this?" Edaline asked tentatively. Jolie frowned.

"I'd be happy, mother. You're just scared I'll ruin the name of this family! You don't care about my happiness!" Evelyn thought that was a bit extreme.

"Mum wasn't saying that at all! She was just concerned about what might happen to you, Jolie." Evelyn informed her. Jolie glared.

"Dad, are you at least happy for me?" Grady hesitated. Jolie scoffed, then turned on her heel and ran upstairs, flicking her hair behind her. Awkward silence filled the room.

"Well...I think I'll go over to Everglen for a while...maybe I'll sleep over for tonight...bye." Evelyn darted upstairs to her room.

------------

Evelyn spun around in front of Jolie's spectral mirror. Her white tunic skirt spun, and she smoothed her black leggings underneath. Her strawberry-blonde hair was in loose waves that morphed into curls at the ends. The waist band of her dress-tunic was a thick plait, in the same white colour that the rest of the outfit (except from the leggings) was.

"You look so pretty!" Vertina gushed. Evelyn smiled, her face glowing.

"Thanks, any idea on what I should wear in my hair?" Evelyn asked. Vertina thought for a moment. Then she had an idea.

"Maybe that blue headband with the flowers on it? It would go well with your eyes." She commented. Evelyn ran out of Jolie's second bedroom and dashed up the stairs to the fifth floor where her bedroom was. Her room took up the whole of the fifth and top floor. Jolie's used to be the fourth, but after she started seeing Brant, she moved down to the second, probably to make it easier to sneak out to see him. She rummaged through her drawers and cabinets until she finally dug out a pale blue headband that matched her icy blue eyes with silver and teal streaks in them.

After completing her outfit and getting Vertina's seal of approval, Evelyn swung her brown leather satchel over her shoulder and ran down all five flights of stairs and out of the front door. She stepped up to the leapmaster and shouted Everglen. The crystals spun to life, and Evelyn stepped into the light, letting it carry her away to Everglen.

------------

"Evelyn!" Fitz ran towards her as she appeared in front of Everglen's glowing gates. He quickly let her in. She ran up and hugged him.

"I was wondering if I could sleep over today? Things are a little...tense...at home." Fitz nodded.

"Of course, what happened?" He led her inside.

"Hello, Evelyn. Staying over?" Asked Della, smoothing her fancy blue gown with jewels scattered on it. Alden strolled into the room, placing an arm around his wife's waist, Biana jumping in after him, by the looks of it begging him for something or another.

"My sister's engaged to Brant." Evelyn remarked loudly. Della choked on a breath.

"What?!" Exclaimed Alvar, who had just walked into the room.

"But Brant's with the ne- nothing, actually. Forget I said that. I'm just leaving...bye!" He kissed his mother on the cheek and strolled out of the door.

Weird.