4. The Replacement

---Evelyn's POV---

---Time skip---Sophie's Arrival---

"Evelyn! Come downstairs darling! Your dad and I need to talk to you!"

"Coming mum!" Evelyn pulled on her shoes, finished her hair and thundered downstairs. Winter was coming, and she shivered slightly. Winter in the lost cities wasn't that cold, but it was still cold enough to shiver sometimes.

"Oh good, you're dressed warm. We're going to the sanctuary, come on!" Edaline took her hand and they went with Grady to the leapmaster, where they shouted for the Sanctuary and stepped into the light.

The air on Mount Everest was cold and bitter, and Evelyn pulled her fluffy coat around her, grateful for the warmth. She ran through the thick, white, crunchy snow and over to Greyfell's enclosure, managing to spy him in the cloudy grey sky.

"Greyfell! Come down!" At the sound of her sweet voice and the sight of her pale, semi-freckled face, Greyfell landed and trotted over to Evelyn. She quickly unlocked the gate and slipped inside. Closing again after her, she turned back to Grady and Edaline.

"So what did you want to talk about?" She asked, cuddling Greyfell's nose.

"Well, Alden has asked us to adopt a new elf." Evelyn froze at her mother's words.

"She's from the forbidden cities, a couple months older than you, and apparently she's a telepath. Her name is Sophie. Sophie Foster." Evelyn turned slowly, fresh tears brimming in her eyes.

"You...you're getting me a new sister?" She whispered. Edaline nodded from beside Grady at the fence of Greyfell's enclosure.

"We think it'll be good for you, darling."

"But I don't want a new sister. I want Jolie back!" Evelyn wailed, bolts of electricity fizzling at her fingers. three bolts of horizontal lightning appeared on the ground, forming steps. Evelyn stepped up them and climbed onto Greyfell's back, stroking him softly. Edaline smiled softly at her.

"We know, darling, but Sophie needs a home, and we've told Alden we'll do it. If you need some time, we'll meet you back at home." Grady and Edaline walked back down the hill, and Evelyn held her warm home crystal in her hand as Greyfell took to the skies, her still on his back. Being a charger, Evelyn could fiddle with psionipaths' force fields, and she created a hole for Greyfell to fly through. She just needed to empty her head. The air got tighter as they went higher, but she didn't mind.

My parents want to replace Jolie. I'm not ready. How could they do this? I can't believe it. Jolie's dead. Jolie's dead. Jolie's dead. Jolie's dead. Jolie's....

---Sophie's POV---

"Don't worry, you'll love Grady and Edaline. There's no need to worry." Alden told her as they arrived at Havenfield. A little girl around her age with strawberry-blonde hair that fell just above her waist and icy blue eyes with silver and teal streaks in them and freckles on her face appeared a little bit away from them. She started running across the grass towards the house, before disappearing into the large mansion. Sophie couldn't deny it: she was the prettiest girl Sophie had ever seen. She looked like she was crying as she looped a necklace with a glittering crystal on it back over her neck and pushing her hair over it at the back. A pretty pale pink choker with sapphires set into the middle of it glittered around her slim neck that Sophie glimpsed as she ran.

"Who's that?" She asked Alden, gesturing towards the girl.

"That's their daughter, Evelyn. I'm sure you'll be great friends. She has an extremely rare ability, as well. Even rarer than telepathy, I think."

"Do they have any other children."

Alden hesitated.

"Evelyn lost her older sister, Jolie, about three years ago now. It was a terrible fire. She's very sensitive about it, so I wouldn't mention it. But Evelyn's a charger, so be careful not to make her angry. It happened to Brant once- Brant was Jolie's fiancé- and let me tell you, he's literally scarred for life. Terrible pain he gets." Alden shivered.

"But I consider her as family now, well, she will be soon, I suppose. She's dating Fitz. He surprised her with crush cuffs at the beginning of her level two." A smiled crept it's way onto the adult's face. A woman with flowing auburn hair came over.

"Hello! You must be Sophie. I'm Edaline, and Grady must be somewhere over there with Verdi." Edaline gestured over behind her shoulder. The girl came running out of the house again.

"Mum, have you seen my- " She cut herself off as she noticed Sophie, and Evelyn gave her the coldest glare Sophie had ever seen. But Edaline didn't seem to notice.

"Who's that." She practically spat.

Wow, Evelyn's really a spoilt brat. She's so arrogant and stuck up. I don't know what Alden's talking about. We definitely won't be friends. She hates me already.

"Darling, this is Sophie! She's your new sister." Edaline glowed. Evelyn glared even colder, if possible.

"But I don't want a new sister. I don't want a replacement for Jolie. Why can't she just stay with Fitz and Biana or something. I prefer to be alone." Evelyn turned away.

"I'm sure you two will be great friends. Don't be upset, Evelyn. Sophie's going to be great for you." Edaline seemed oblivious to her daughter's bratty personality. Evelyn ran off, and Sophie could've sworn she saw tears spilling over down Evelyn's face. Edaline turned back to Sophie and Alden.

"Don't worry Sophie, she'll come around. She just misses Jolie. We all do. And you look so much like her." Her voice cracked a little on the last part.

"Anyway, let's get you inside, come on..."