Prologue - Bianca

Bianca POV

Four walls. A terrible mattress that makes me miss the one I had at home. My room in the Sál had more windows. More light. The Silfur shouldn't be dark, but it is. It's too dark.

The sun is setting, and it creates absolute dread in the pit of my stomach. I used to love the nighttime. It's when Mother and I would go out to look at the stars. It's when Father would sing with the Northern Lights.

Even Alexander, his favorite time is nighttime. He'd sit on our roof whenever he wanted to stay away from our mother. The cold was never an issue for him. Especially after training with the Hela's. But I'll admit, some of my favorite memories with him are sitting around the campfire late at night. Listening to the crackling fire.

All of that is gone now.

I hate the sunset. I hate the darkness. I hate the sound of footsteps down the hallway. The sound of the door creaking open. The sound of him. The sound of me in the aftermath—silently crying or trying to pull myself together.

As the sun sets now, I hum under my breath. Unable to bring myself to sing. I haven't been able to sing since the first time Ulrik touched me. Not only silencing my voice but my soul.

Tears start to prick my eyes as I imagine Alexander's singing. The harmonies we would reach with Dad. They both always had such a beautiful voice, but Alexander's has always been delicate and angelic. Not at all like what I've called him over the years.

Freak.

But that's what Mom says he is. Mom has warned me to stay away from him. From what runs in his blood. I don't fully understand it, but I know it's dangerous. I know it's catastrophic. She says it could end the world but even through the years, I can't imagine my brother doing that. Even in the seclusion of it all, he has such a beautiful smile and laugh.

Alexander is a loner. He's never liked the attention or appeal of being around people. Never has he come on the tours Mother and Father send me on. He doesn't shake hands with our sister and brother packs. He's only ever had Dad. And still, I hate him for it. Dad has always loved him more. Dad has decided to give Alexander the Alpha title. And Alex knew how much I wanted it. Alexander knew.

I pull my knees to my chest. Squeezing myself closer and trying to make myself smaller.

I miss the Sál.

I miss...Alex.

I shouldn't miss him. I should hate and despise him for everything. He's the reason my parents fight so often. They live harmoniously unless he's around. Alexander is why I won't be Alpha, after years and years of training and being properly groomed by the position. He's the reason I left the Sál. Even if it was just to spite my parents.

I hate him. I hate him for not being the monster my mother says he is. Now I know what a true monster looks like and I feel agony for ever calling my brother such a thing.

I miss him.

I could have sworn he was here today. But I can't remember.

Get out, my wolf encourages me.

She's trying so hard to keep me afloat. She helps me disassociate. She helps me forget by pushing me so far back into my mind that sometimes I don't feel emotionally just physically. It helps but not always.

It didn't help when Ulrik blood claimed me. I can't remember the entire oath I had to give. I can't remember saying the words, but I did. And Ulrik Marked me. I can't even look at myself in the mirror. It's nowhere near my face or neck and yet, I know it's there. It's on my skin and in my blood and the moment I was Marked, the mountains felt like they were shaking under me.