15 | we go down together

15

❥ ❥ ❥

❥ ❥ ❥

THE FALL OF 2006
Nothing Lasts Forever

❥ ❥ ❥

'Forever' is a fallacy.

Like a fleeting breeze that dances through the autumn leaves, the concept of 'forever' is a delicate illusion. It's akin to chasing the elusive horizon where the sky meets the Earth, a pursuit that leaves us with outstretched arms grasping at intangible promises. During childhood, we delude ourselves that innocence is an everlasting possession—that we can forever sprint away from the accumulating responsibilities that tack on with age. We look at our mother and father and let naïveté lead our waltz, believing that they'll be together forever, because that's how true love works.

There's a common conception that humans become more foolproof with age. As we grow, we no longer believe in the same fantasies that once ruled our childlike minds.

Jisung Han is seventeen, and is still utterly naïve. At one point in time, he believed that so long as he and Minho were together, he'd always be happy.

Turns out, there really is a price to pay for your sins in the overworld. It's not quite karma, but dances on the toes of it.

"Jisung-ah, you're home!" Narae greets, awfully chipper. The door clicks faintly behind Jisung, the scent of pepper flakes perfuming the air. "How was school? Your father and I missed you this morning. Early meeting today."

"Good," Jisung responds instinctively. He's half-relieved that his parents' negligence allowed them to overlook him sneaking out of the house, but isn't surprised.

It's only a matter of time before Jisung's entire existence goes unnoticed by his parents. 'Forever' is such a boldfaced lie. Your parents are supposed to love you forever.

Jisung glances over at the dinner table and spots Narae setting out the tableware, Miss Celine tinkering in the kitchen. "I didn't know we were having jajangmyeon."

"Your favorite~," his mother coos.

Jisung hesitates, making a meal of his bottom lip. "W–What's the occasion?"

"Do I need a reason to treat my own son to his favorite dish?" Narae cocks a brow. "But if you must know, it's to celebrate your progress with Pastor Keyes. He's had nothing but kind words to say about you."

Jisung bites down harder on his lip, the copper taste of blood invading his mouth.

"You've come a long way, Jisung-ah. And in such a short amount of time," Narae continues, squeezing her son's shoulder. "We couldn't be prouder of you. Your father's staying late at the office tonight, but he's just as proud as I am."