promise

Ishigami Senku often wondered what had brought him and her so close. His words were sharp and jarring while hers were sugary and too sweet; he rarely showed his emotions while she wore her heart on her sleeve; he tried to follow his head while she unquestioningly followed her heart.

And, for whatever reason, that thought often brought him back to that one day when she'd asked him that stupid question.

"Senku, you'll stay by my side forever, right?"

Well, they were eight, so he couldn't exactly blame her for being so naive.

"Sure, I guess."

He hadn't put much thought into his response—it was mostly so she wouldn't throw a tantrum and interrupt his reading session.

"Do you promise?"

He had looked up from the pages of the textbook to find her waving her pinkie in his face. He, again, without much thought, carelessly hooked his with hers.

"Yeah."

He turned back to the paragraph discussing the equations NASA used and considered in their calculations, but he didn't miss her beaming at him.

She'll forget in a few years, anyway.

Was what he thought. And he was probably right.

However...

He glanced at her sleeping figure slumped over the desk and shook his head, chuckling.

It was likely their parents' close friendship that kept them together, but he knew that if she remembered that interaction, she'd tell him it was "fate" or some other kind of nonsense.

Either way, who would've thought that she'd still be here, six years later?