𝟎𝟎𝟖. eavesdropping

『 ' chapter 8 '
— right pope?

𐙚

Sarah scurried around her room, packing any stuff she had into a bag. She looked into drawers, picking up anything she could.

She opens her jewellery box, finding her phone, but it did not turn on. She slipped it into her pocket grabbing anything else she wanted.

A door closes, making Sarah turn her head. 'Yeah, they said, um. Two days on the transfer.' Sarah hears a faint voice, coming from below, which she makes out to be Rafe.

She slowly gets off her chair, picking up her bag quietly. 'It's in the works though, so no worries. Rafe spoke on the phone.

Sarah looked over the staircase, 'Yeah i'm upstairs why?' Rafe asked. 'You said you wanted to talk about something, what's up?'

'Wait are you being serious?' Rafe asked, Sarah slowly walked down the stairs, trying not to make any sound at all.

'I was just with you. What changed since then?' Rafe asked again, slowly growing annoyed.

'Dad. no, no. Dad.'

Sarah walked past the room Rafe was in, making it down another case of stairs. 'This cross is mine. You're taking it from me.'

Which made Sarah turn her head, and listen into the conversation. 'Listen, this is something that I got through my work.  And now you're trying to make yourself feel better by giving away my shit?' Rafe spoke, angry.

'And you didn't even tell me?' Rafe shouted. 'This is me telling you right now son.' Ward said calmly. Rafe threw his head back, 'Oh my God.'

'And donating this cross- It's a good first step, in the right direction. I know that in my heart. Okay?' Ward said from the other line of the phone.

'I don't know, Maybe if Sarah finds out-.' Rafe cuts him off, shouting. 'Sarah!' Sarah gasped quietly, hiding herself quickly. 'There it is! That's it!' Rafe paced around the room.

He banged the night stand table, 'Yep knew it.'

Rafe screams, 'There it is, Dad! Any more of my shit you wanna steal from me to impress Sarah?' 'Who doesn't give a shit about you.' 'Even Chloe cares about you more than her!' Rafe adds.

'It's Wilmington. It's tomorrow night.' Ward informs. 'Get a pen. I'll give you the cargo infomation.'

Rafe sighs, clearing his throat, sitting back down on a chair nearest to him.

Rafe splutters, 'For the record, this is bullshit. Okay? This is my thing.'

Sarah still watches from the door, bent down. 'But of course, you can count on me.'

'Okay so listen.' 'One second.' Rafe stood up, getting a pen. 'Wimington. Tomorrow night.' He clicks the pen, 'Car 750X. Got it.'

Sarah slowly stands up, making a floorboard creak. She quickly jogs past, trying not to be seen. Rafe looks at the door, furrowing his eyebrows. 'Hey. Hang on. Hang on. One second.'

Rafe walks out the room, Sarah hiding from the other side of the wall. Rafe shouts down to the stairs, 'Hello?'

Sarah walks backwards, Rafe walking over to where she is. He walks back into the room, grabbing the phone, while Sarah hids behind the wall.

'Yeah, from the wharf to the train yard.' Rafe jogs down the stairs.

'Yes. I got it, Okay.'

Sarah exits seeing Rafe's figure, she turns to the door across from him, pushing herself out.'

'So there I was at the top of this crane

'So there I was at the top of this crane. On a huge container ship, in the middle of the ocean.' Pope explained to his parents. Cleo ate her food, looking at Pope while he told his story.

'And what do i hear from down below but-.' Pope mimics gunfires, 'Oh no!' Mr heyward buts in. Mrs heyward pats Mr heyward on the shoulder, her mouth hanged open, staring at her son.

'Gunshots shooting right back up at me.' 'True story.' Cleo adds. 'Mom, gunshots.' Pope sits down, 'That's when i knew, there was no way we were getting off that boat with the cross.'

'Boy.' Mrs Heyward sighs, 'Dropped it in the ocean.' Pope spoke, with his mouth full. 'You did what?' Mr Heyward asked, making sure he heard his son right.

Mrs Heyward leaned back in her chair, looking at Pope. 'It was the best thing I could do, and get this. As soon as i'm jumping off the ship, we're swimming away, I look back.'

'They're pulling it back out.' 'Who?' 'Rafe.' Pope stated.' 'Rafe?' Mr Heyward repeated, looking at his wife.

'Honestly, i'm kind of glad he got it.' Cleo furrows her eyebrows, looking at the boy.

'You on air?' 'Yeah, i'm with Cleo on that.' Mr Heyward agrees. 'I'm just saying, at least it's not at the bottom of the ocean.' Pope raises his hands, in his own defence.

'There's a chance, you know? Some hope that maybe we can get it back from them.' Pope tries to make a point. 'Well let's hope not, ive had enough of this treasure hunting.'

Mrs Heyward nods, looking at Pope. 'I want people to know that story, Pop.'

'Denmark Tanny, who got probably one of the most valuable objects in all the world, and he gave it to a church full of freed slaves.'

'And it was theirs— It's a beautiful story.'

'I think it deserves to be told.' Pope looks at Cleo, who's already giving him a small smile.

'Thank you so much, for helping my boy.' Mrs Heyward thanks Cleo, she grabs Cleo's hand, holding it in her own.

'Mm. We helped each other. Right Pope?'

'Yeah.' He smiles.

⋆·˚ ༘ *