Chapter 63

The place is crowded, people in expensive clothing fill the atmosphere. All of their jewellery sparkles, their hair looks flawless, and their skin looks unreal.

This is a place I never thought I'd belong to. And yet the music makes me feel like I could happily drown in here.

Everyone is kind, their smiles shining in my direction as I walk, Jayden beside me. This feels like a dream, like a prom except if prom was the entire concept of the world and I'm the queen, Jayden is the king.

I smile back to everyone noticing me and Jayden.

I've never repeated my name so often in my entire life to anyone.

"Hey!"

I hear someone shout and watch as the voice approaches us. His head is bald and he's wearing a white t-shirt that for some reason emanates expensive which only confuses me. His jeans are tight and he smells of just the right amount of 30-year-old-trying-to-impress-everyone cologne.

He doesn't belong in places like this and he knows it, which is why he tries to fit in. Everyone here is younger than him.

"Ian!" Jayden shouts back although he doesn't have to. The music is just the right amount of loud.

I stand besides Jayden as he gives him a side hug and hand grasp. They pat each other on the back once and then face eachother again.

Jayden quickly shifts himself a step back from me."This is Maria."

"Nice to meet you." He looks me in the eyes.

"I'm Uncle Ian, Jayden's . . . uncle." He laughs and I chuckle.

"No more ladies to take out on dates, my man, stick with her. She's a good girl," Ian says and I'm grateful.

"I will my man, I will."

"See you, bro," Ian says before Jayden takes my hand again and we walk further into the party.

I spot Stephanie who seems to be the only person really standing out. Her makeup is minimal, she has a small pimple on her cheek that only makes me chuckle as we approach them and her outfit looks like it's from Walmart compared to everyone here.

Even Caroline and I bought more expensive outfits to wear for tonight.

Stephanie walks away as soon as we approach Caroline and I whisper to Jayden that I'll stay with them for a few seconds. He nods and let's me know he'll go find one of his buddies 'real quick'.

"Where did Stephanie go?"

"She went to get us drinks." Caroline smiles and I nod. 

We stand in an awkward corner and Caroline speaks again. "For someone so obsessed with Jayden, she really isn't putting in much effort." Caroline sneers and I peer my eyes at her.

"Come on, Caroline. Be nice. She's trying her best." 

The music makes me want to sway with Jayden and I tie my hand to Caroline's bringing her with me. Stephanie follows unsure of what's going on and we finally spot Jayden next to someone slightly taller than him.

The man has a short beard, dark hair and a soft brown skin-tone. I know I should recognise him but I think Stephanie is better at who's who.

"Stephanie," I whisper at her harshly when she finally approaches.

"Who is that?" Oh god, I know I've seen him somewhere before. I feel horrible not knowing who Jayden's friends are, he doesn't even know I used to hate him and it eats at me. 

"That's Dan, he's like the most famous guy ever, outside of Jayden of course."

Right.

"Dan, this is Maria, Caroline and . . ." He hesitates for a few seconds before saying "Stephanie."

She smiles although her eyes seem calm and her body is almost limp.

"Stephanie's a fan of the both of you," I smile, pushing her softly forward to meet their gaze and hand.

I want her to feel welcome and I want her to feel good. She's done no harm to us and having negative comments blasted on my social media has only made me realize that maybe I've been one of those negative comments behind Stephanie's back without realising it. And that's not me.

Jayden smiles at her and I feel warm. Dan shakes her hand. "What's up?" His thick lips stretch into a smile and Caroline surprisingly follows his every movement.

"Someone's having a crush?" I giggle toward Caroline and it comes out louder than intended, we both stare wide-eyed at Jayden and Dan.

"It's a pleasure, Caroline. But I've got to leave now." He kisses her hand and she squeals quietly.

"Can you sign my arm?" Stephanie suddenly asks Jayden, looking up at him with puppy eyes. Caroline rolls her eyes and I'm tempted to do the same. I might think I'm mature but I'm young enough to get jealous of any girl next to my boyfriend like that.

"Sure." Jayden takes her arm softly with a sly smile and hair swoop. Stephanie closes her eyes after giving him a black sharpie as he tattoos her arm with ink.

"We should head outside, get some pictures." Jayden smiles at me and I nod, not entirely sure what he means.

Caroline mouths 'I'll take care of her' before dragging a tipsy Stephanie with her and away from us.

"Are you sure you're comfortable with this?" I nod. I'm not, but being with Jayden, and it being known that I'm with him is better than being a shadow underneath him. I want to be his equal, not someone who hopes to become as good as him.

Camera lights flash at us again, this time the backdrop looks different, not advertising the party but some brand. Jayden sees me trying to read the name multiple times as it crosses the wall.

"I love you," he whispers and I let out a chuckle and just then the camera clicks one of my favorite photos.