The Beast Below

My name is Marina Pond. When I was five, I had an imaginary friend. Last night was the night before my sister Amy's wedding...

The Doctor was holding Amy and I by the ankles, as we floated outside the F.P.B. (Now properly named TARDIS)

"Come on, Ponds." The Doctor said, pulling us back into the TARDIS.

..and our imaginary friend came back.

'NOW do you believe me?'

"OK, your box is a spaceship. It's really, really a spaceship." Amy grinned.

"We are in space! Whoo!" I celebrated, then had a thought. 'What are we breathing?"

"I've extended the air shell - we're fine." The Doctor saw something and squatted. "Now, that's interesting. 29th Century. Solar flares roast the earth," He took me by the hand and led me up to the console. "And the entire human race packs its bags," He began to work some controls "And moves out till the weather improves. Whole nations..."

"Doctor?" I heard Amy call.

"..migrating to the stars."

"Doctor?" Amy called again.

"Isn't that amazing?"

I nodded.

"Doctor!"

I woke up from my dream kind of state and realized Amy wasn't at the console. I went to the door and saw her clinging to the roof of the TARDIS.

"Well, come on. He's found us a spaceship."

As soon as I pulled Amy to the safety of the TARDIS, the Doctor began to talk.

"This is the United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland - all of it, bolted together and floating in the sky. Starship UK. It's Britain, but metal. That's not just a ship - that's an idea. That's a whole country, living and laughing and...shopping."

I chuckled.

"Searching the stars for a new home." The Doctor finished.

"Can we go out and see?" Amy asked.

"Course we can but first, there's a thing."

"A thing?"

"An important thing. In fact, thing one - we are observers only. That's the one rule I've always stuck to in my travels. I never get involved in the affairs of other peoples or planets. Ooh! That's interesting."

On a screen, a little girl sat alone, crying.

"So we're like a wildlife documentary, yeah?" I began. "Cos if they see a wounded little cub or something, they can't just save it - they've got to keep filming and let it die."

"That's got to be hard." Amy began, not taking her eyes off the screen. "I don't think I could do that. Don't you find that hard - being all, like, detached and cold?"

All of a sudden, the Doctor appeared onscreen with the girl.

"Doctor?" I called.

He began to wave for us to join them. Amy looked at me and grinned. We ran out of the TARDIS.

"Welcome to London Market. You are being monitored."

I was looking around. There was an arched glass ceiling. Through the ceiling, stars were visible. In the marketplace itself was a series of stalls and booths very similar to a contemporary marketplace.

"I'm in the future. Like hundreds...of years in the future. I've been dead for centuries." Amy noted.

"Oh, lovely. You're a cheery one." The Doctor wedged between us. "Never mind dead, look at this place. Isn't it wrong?"