Chapter 6: Military Dogs

haven't uploaded a chapter for this in a hot minute. links are for how volker looks like

imgbb: ibb.co/XV54Br5

picrew: picrew.me/image_maker/41153

It would be that the person Bernhardt was going on about was the one who you were meant to bring back to Marley in the secret mission. Informants and men pushing out in the southern front had heard rumors of a man who could lift entire houses and stretch up to the sky far higher than any human could. But the question was how if all but two titans were in Marley's possession? The other two had followed east with the fleeing Eldians to Paradis Island.

Well, it turns out that was wrong. Two did manage to escape Marley, but one only went East.

The other went West to what was then Ceanti and now residing in Western Ceanti, which happened to be allies of the Republic of Liastria and the Conia Territories. However, unlike Liastria or Conia, Western Ceanti had a considerably smaller population than the other three countries. Its people lived in rural areas and preferred more traditional ways of living, leaving acceptance of urbanization slow. Its neighboring sister country, Eastern Ceanti, was in the opposite situation. People lived in major cities and quickly accepted the emergence of industrialization, which provided and supplied a significant volume of the Western country's supplies for the war.

Like Otril, Eastern Ceanti wasn't a participant in the war or part of the alliance. However, it remained neutral and played the role of weapon dealers from the cash cow that was the war against Marley.

There were two ways a titan shifter could be in two locations across the oceans from each other. It could be that the shifter resided in Liastria and was planned to be used as a tool in the war, and what Bernhardt had pieced together from the previous Beast user's memories was shit.

That or the shifter had either moved to a safer location in the mountains of Ceanti.

Regardless, this left Marley's brass in a bind and halted the original plan of sending you to Liastria.

Instead, they turned to pressuring the bordering country and scaring some other countries on the continent. Marley was being sanctioned heavily because of the war they inadvertently created. Many nations disagreed with how the Tripact Alliance handled things but didn't agree with how aggressively Marely was pushing back. You were sure several war crimes had already been committed over the past two years.

"This is going to choke Marley's resources," Bernhardt looked down at the newspaper you had brought him, a frown on his face.

You were seated across from him in the office that the heads were oh-so charitable in giving him. Well, that was a lie; it was a shared office between him and the Captain of the Warrior Unit. It had been a few weeks since the ceremony, but he had been moved up from vice-chief to captain. It also happened that your chief, Magath, was being considered for a military promotion. It was almost guaranteed he'd get it soon, if anything.

"And you didn't bother to tell them no?" You couldn't help but exasperate to him.

Bernhardt sighed and removed his glasses, rubbing the bridge of his nose. "It's not that easy... Ritter and Magath already tried to warn them, but they didn't care to listen to Ritter, and Magath was outnumbered in the decision."

Yvo crossed his arms, "And in the end, Ritter knew the situation better than any of them there on the southern front...this is a gamble for Marley."

Ritter was the current captain of the Warrior Unit and the holder of the Armored Titan. He had been stationed at the southern front at the border of Liastria for about a year since they had become trouble there and only now came back to Libero to meet with you all here. He was also finally being put into retirement soon, which was just the euphemism used to mean that his time was up as the Armored Titan, and subsequently be eaten and die.