Time

"We had some unexpected interior decorators visit a few weeks back, but it seems that thanks to you two, they're gone." you replied to Peter. 

"Hah well we were just doing our duty," Peter said cockily, leaning his elbow on the desk. Egon cleared his throat, stepping past Peter's display. 

"Hi y/n. I'm here to return the books you lent me." 

"They're a little late, you know." you said cheekily. 

"Yes, life has been- well a bit chaotic lately." 

"I can imagine." 

"How much do I owe you?" 

You quickly checked the borrowing card. "Hm well you may need to take out a loan. 25 cents." you said with a smile. 

Egon let out a quick exhale then reached into his coat pockets, fishing out a quarter and sliding it across the table. 

"Thank you." you said as Peter stared at the two of you. 

"Egon came to return the books, I came to invite you over to the fire station tonight." Egon quickly turned to Peter. 

"It's all cleaned up, got a remodel, and we're celebrating tonight around 7. Janine and Dana will be there, have you met Dana? My girlfriend, you'll love her, everyone loves her. You should come, I'm sure she'd love to talk about Zuul with you, she has some.. first hand experience you could say." 

"Well I think I can stop by tonight, is that ok? I won't be imposing?" 

"It's more than ok," he said winking at you, "There'll be food, Dana's bringing something fancy to drink, it'll be a blast." Peter gave Egon a deliberate look. 

"Ok see you tonigggght." he said cutely as he waved and walked outside. 

You laughed. "Is he always like that?" 

"Yes always- um Y/n, I'm sorry I kind of... disappeared after the whole Gozer thing, there was a lot going on and-"

 "Don't apologize, I understand, it's been a bit chaotic around here as well. I did wonder if you'd died, but I saw you guys on tv..." you trailed off. You didn't have the guts to admit that you had not only asked a stranger on the street about him, but also practically ran through the streets trying to find him. 

"Oh yeah all those interviews were ridiculous. And yes, what exactly happened here anyways?"

 "Ah well I'm sure you remember our librarian ghost from before. Well turns out she has a few colleagues." You saw Peter peeking in the glass door from outside. "I can tell you more about it tonight if you want." 

"Yes! I would be very interested. But don't feel obligated to come tonight, it's just a last minute, casual thing so-" 

"Do you not want me there?" you said slowly, glancing up at him. Maybe having not seen him for so long had emboldened you. 

"Uh-" he choked out, pushing up his glasses. He'd forgotten what it was like, you staring up at him with your doe eyes. 

"If I said I didn't that would be a lie." he said somewhat quietly, pursing his mouth together, repressing a smile. 

You smiled sheepishly, averting your gaze. "Ok then I will see you tonight." 

"Ok." Egon said with his hands in his pockets, turning around but still looking at you, as he bumped into a table. 

"Woah- uh ok. Bye." he stuttered. 

"Bye," you said slightly chuckling at him. 

"Bye." he said again before finally turning and leaving. 

You were just hoping he would give you a call but this was a lot better. And now you had another excuse to see him, you would have to thank Peter. 

You would be off work in less than an hour and then you were going to get busy baking some sweet treats to bring with you. After you called your friend Diane to tell her the good news of course.