Chapter One

One year ago

There are worse things than being stranded in the school parking lot during a thunderstorm. 

Like being hit by a bus or getting extra homework right before the weekend, for example. 

There are no cars in the parking lot other than two empty school buses. I could knock on the school door to see if the custodian would let me back in, but he kind of gives me the creeps, so I'll take the rain. I'm soaking wet down to my socks, thanks to the fact that they recently tore down the sheltered walkway outside to do a remodel. 

I grip the straps of my backpack tightly and try to refrain from shivering. Finally, my brother's black SUV pulls into the parking lot and speeds towards me before coming to a sudden halt. The back passenger door swings open, revealing a car full of familiar faces. 

"Maddie what the hell." Chase says, holding the door open. I brush past him and climb into the third row. I plop down next to Noah, who stares at me with a look of shock. Jordan slams the door shut without a word. Normally I wouldn't get away with leaving him to close the door for me, but I was mad, cold, and miserable, and they could tell that now was not the time to chastise me. Out of the five of my brothers in the vehicle, no one said a word as Mason started driving away. I felt guilty that I was getting the car seat wet, but I was too irritated to care - or apologize. Noah handed me his hoodie, which I took appreciatively. 

"You good, Maddie?" Mason called back to me from the drivers seat as he turned the car onto the main road. 

I glared at him. "I'm fine." I say as I cross my arms and slump back in my seat. I hadn't even bothered to put my seat belt on. 

"How long were you out there? They didn't let you back in?" Jake asks from the passenger seat. 

"Well let's see, you're forty-five minutes late, so about that long. And the only people left are the janitors and I'd rather wait in the rain than alone in the building with those weirdos." I snap back. No hate towards janitors, I actually really loved our old ones before they retired, but the two new guys make all the girls a little uncomfortable. They always 'accidentally' walk in to clean the girls bathroom when there's someone in there.

"Sorry about that." Mason responds. "Practice ran late. We didn't have our phones." 

"It's fine." I say, staring out the tinted window. 

"You could have called Luke." Mason says.

"He didn't answer." I reply, feeling my irritation grow. Of course I had tried calling my oldest brothers. "Neither did Elliot. I was starting to think maybe you all died." I say dryly. 

Mason and Jake exchange glances. "That's strange." Mason says. "I'm sure they're just busy. I think El is on call and Luke is in class, he probably has his phone on silent." 

"Probably. Can I have the first shower when we get home?" I asked hopefully. Usually my brothers fight over it after school since they get all gross and sweaty after football practice. I usually prefer to shower before bed so I can take my time without someone banging on the door or barging in on me. 

"I already called it." Jordan says. I groan. "Hey I had to run fifty forties, I'm sweating through my underwear." He adds in response. 

"I'm soaking wet through mine!" I hurl back. I'm pretty sure my brothers all collectively shudder. 

"Gross, Maddie. TMI." Nathan says. 

I choose to ignore his comment. I know there's no winning this argument. They may mean well but their double-standards are so frustrating, and it's just because I'm a girl. "Okay, well can I use dad's shower, then?" I ask. Dad is rarely ever home thanks to being a senior drill sergeant a couple states away at Fort Bragg. He's just as much of a drill sergeant at home as he is in the Army, and his master bedroom and bathroom are absolutely off-limits. I knew the answer before I even asked the question, but I was desperate enough to try.