Chapter Three

Later that afternoon, the doorbell started ringing. Thankfully Noah doesn't have a huge friend group, but it was enough that within twenty minutes our house was filled with over half a dozen teenage boys and I decided to retreat to my bedroom. 

I was six chapters into Pride and Prejudice when I was startled by a knock on my door. I looked at the clock, but seeing as it was still not five it couldn't be Luke or Elliot. Mason hadn't come home after dropping off our other brothers at camp, so it could only be one person. 

"Noah?" I called out. 

A familiar voice responded. "Yeah. Can I come in?" 

"Sure." I said with a sigh. 

My door opened softly, revealing my damp-haired brother. "I just wanted to check on you. We're ordering pizza if you want to join." He eyed the book in my hands carefully. "Unless you just want me to bring you some up here." 

I pursed my lips. If there was one thing I hated, it was my brothers feeling sorry for me. I suppose I should be grateful that it doesn't happen often. "I'm not hungry, but thank you." I returned my attention to Elizabeth Bennett in hopes that Noah would get the hint and leave me in peace.

He remained in my doorway, the portrait of unease. "Maddie-" He started, but I knew what was coming and I wasn't in the mood.

"Look, whatever you want to say, either say it or leave me alone. We both have more important things we'd rather be doing." Even though I meant the words, I still cringed at the bite in my voice. I know I can't explain the real reasons I'm so frustrated. 

He just stared at me for a beat before nodding to himself. "Right. As important as Mr. Darcy may be, I just don't think you should keep yourself locked in here all night."

"I'm here by choice. I have reading to catch up on. And, quite frankly, I don't feel like being the only girl at a pool party of all things. Being the only girl in our family is one thing, but a group of guys I don't even know is entirely different. So, thanks, but I'll pass." 

Noah sighed. "Alright, fine. I get it. We're going to call it off when Elliot gets home anyways. Just thought I'd offer." 

"Thanks." 

And with that, my door clicked shut softly. I let out a huff of air that I didn't even realize I had been holding. I tilted my head towards the ceiling to try to dry out the wet, burning sensation stinging my eyes. Don't you dare cry. I warned myself. I imagine that if I had a friend group like Noah, then we could all mix together and we'd both have a good time. Then Noah wouldn't have to feel so guilty, which means that I wouldn't have to feel guilty either. But instead, the few friends that I had in middle school moved on after graduation and I was left entirely alone. I have no idea what I'll do once school starts, seeing as I'll be in high school with no friends whatsoever. I've been avoiding those thoughts surprisingly well all summer, but I'll have to deal with it eventually. 

Two chapters later, my phone lit up on my desk. I saw Noah's picture flash on the screen along with a message. 

Tippy got out again, I can't catch her. She keeps trying to jump in the pool. Can you try?

I groaned. Tippy is our neighbors black lab. Sometimes she escapes her yard and likes to take a dive in our pool. I dog sit while her owners go on vacation so she's used to me, and I'm the only one who can get her back home. As much as I'd love to ignore the message and pretend like I never saw it, if anything happened to Tippy I would never forgive myself.

Sure. Brt

I toss my phone on my bed and take a quick glance in the mirror on my vanity. The pretty white desk with bulb lights around the mirror was my twelfth birthday present. I had been begging to get rid of my old dollhouse for two years, and finally convinced dad to let me put it in storage. It had been mom's when she was little, and I think it made him sad that I didn't want it around anymore. It's not that I didn't want that part of my mom with me, but I was far too old for dollhouses and hadn't used it for anything other than a coat rack since I was ten. I still wasn't allowed to wear makeup until high school, a rule that had caused quite a few disagreements over the past few years I've spent in middle school. But now that I've waited this long, I plan on having a big back-to-school shopping trip this summer and torturing my brothers by making them spend way longer than necessary in Sephora. I'm not sure which part I'm more excited about, the makeup or the sibling payback. Until then, all I can do at the vanity is my hair.