III

Otacon spent most of the night investigating online. He joined several cooking forums and had been writing in about 47 different threads —that he had also started— at the same time.
He didn't feel sleepy or tired at all. His brain was inside that deep focus zone he would normally get in while working on his technological subjects or when analyzing his favourite anime of the week.

The sun lit his bedroom as it got higher up the sky, forcing him to realize he would soon need to switch to his practical skills. He checked each thread one last time as to make sure CooKingMama_78, amongst other supportive users, hadn't responded yet, stretched his body, and got out of bed. He quickly inhaled, exhaled and got into his role of being sleepy.

—You already up? —Snake asked while drinking the hot chocolate he had just prepared.

—I'm trying to be healthier —he answered with full confidence, as he had previously practiced today's excuse.

—It's 5 a.m. I don't think it's less healthy for you to sleep a few hours more.

—Then why are you awake?

Snake stared at him in silence for a few seconds, after which he grunted slightly. Otacon quickly realized how stupid it had been to ask that to someone who was essentially engineered for the military, but he thought it was better to keep quiet for a little bit. He stayed like that until David turned his body to serve him a cup of hot chocolate.

—Sorry, I'm not used to this. My head isn't at its best right now...

That was genuine. After embarrassing himself he felt all the lack of rest invading him. Hal received the drink and dragged himself to the living room, after which he sat on the couch. He then greeted all the huskies as they passed between him and the small wooden table. He hadn't really grown up with pets besides looking after his step-sister's bird once in a while, and was now having the best time of his life petting 50 fluffy dogs everyday even if they blackmailed him to get treats, covered his clothes in fur or smashed him by sitting over his weak body.

—So, what are you gonna do today, Snake? —he asked, rotating his torso as to see him still standing in the kitchen.

—Not sure —he replied while waiting for his dogs to follow his instructions—. Do I need to change any of those items you made me buy? I could do that.

—Oh! —he was caught off guard, as he had completely forgotten about it because of the cooking forums—. I, um... I'll check them later. You'll have to do something else, sorry.

—I'll go out with the dogs now —he concluded, already preparing the cigarette he'd smoke outdoors—, worry about that later. I've prepared toasted bread with jam, if you want some.

—Thank you, Snake —he smiled at him.

He waved them all goodbye as they left, getting up only to get himself a few slices, going back to the couch and then laying down and exhaling in some sort of relieved state of mind for now being alone. He was enjoying the breakfast.
After he finished, he washed all the dishes and tidied up the house a bit. He went to check the forum again - he was really invested before leaving the bed. CooKingMama_78 replied! Otacon didn't really know much about who the person behind the username was, but he had the gut  feeling it was a really heartwarming slavic-american woman in her late 50s who would've probably pinched his cheeks if they were to meet in person. She was definitely his favorite person in the forum, as she would always write long, clear and loving answers - even more than he had asked for.

As he expected, she had responded all of his questions - even those he hadn't thought of yet. He felt quite confident about today's experiment and, thanks to CooKingMama_78's words, he decided he'd get to it right no-