Story One: Under Scrutiny

It was a rainy April day in the year 1906. The Wellsworth and Suddery Railway had received increased attention from the public after the incident with Pastor Timmons on the TK&ER. The engines were sitting in their shed at Crosby, when the manager of the line, Nathaniel Hubbell, walked up to the shed. "Good morning, engines." He said, with a smile. "Good morning, Sir!" They replied, eagerly. "I have some exciting news! The Railway Board has come to inspect the line after what happened with the Pastor near Hatt Manor. If we pass the inspection, the railway will get a hefty sum from the Sodor Transportation Board, which means we'll be able to increase the facilities at Brendam Docks." The manager said, a hopeful look in his eyes. "Who's going to pull the inspectors? It's me isn't it?" Asked Bethania, a positive, yet somehow unnerving look in her eyes. "Oh, Edward will be handling it, Bethania. You're taking his goods to Maron." The manager said, walking away. Edward's eyes darted around the shed, looking everywhere but Bethania. She was not one to take these sorts of things lightly. "I'm supposed to be the one pulling that train! Not you, you stupid train stealer!" She shrieked, beginning to throw a bit of a tantrum. "Now, Bethania, calm down. It was a random pick, I didn't have control of it." Edward said, reassuringly. "Alright, fine. I guess I can forgive you, this time." She said, annoyed, but smiling at Edward. "That's not fair, you haven't forgiven me for being late because of the guard being late last week!" Eustis piped up. "Be quiet, you green snake on rails." Bethania grumbled, as Edward puffed out of the sheds. "Look at you, Edward! You get to pull the railway inspectors, that's a pretty big honor!" His driver said, patting the side of his cab. "You have a point there, driver. I was too busy trying to catch Bethania down." Edward sighed, smiling. "You're always doing that for her, it's weird none of the others can. You've just been calming her ever since your first day, it's like she likes you or something." His driver teased. "Pah, I've no time for romance! Besides, she's just an entitled old fart!" Edward groaned, annoyed. "Eh, we'll talk argue about it some other time. I can see the coaches at the platform for us." His driver responded. Edward whistled to Saxton, the small shunter that handled the yard at Wellsworth. He coupled up to the rake of Pullman coaches at the platform, and the inspectors climbed into the coaches. Edward waited patiently for the guard. He waited, and waited. It felt like an eternity until the guard showed up. He was twelve minutes late. "Sorry about that. My wife forgot to wake me up. I had to hurry down here from Crosby." The guard said, apologizing to the manager and the railway inspectors. They gave a stiff nod, and Edward set off down the line. The rain was now coming down in buckets, causing Edward to go at a slower pace than usual. He started to speed up, trying to make up for lost time. He was passing through the valley, when he heard a rumbling sound. Up ahead, a mudslide spilled over the tracks. "Brakes, Driver, brakes!" He cried, stopping firmly in the edge of the mudslide, damaging his front footplate. Just then, he heard a whistle from the other side. Then, voice. "Edward, you alright?" Shouted the No. 1, Archibald. "I'm fine, Archibald. I didn't stop in time, but I have the railway inspectors with me." Edward said, upset. "I've got some empty coaches, we could have them climb over the mudslide, and I can take them down the line." Archibald said. "That works for us." The railway inspectors spoke up. The railway inspectors, the manager, Edward's crew and the guard carefully traversed the mudslide, and hopped in the empty coaches. Archibald blew his whistle, going backwards down the line. Edward sat there, waiting for help. Then, he heard a familiar whistle, and groaned to himself, quietly. "Hey, Eddie! I'm here to help!" Said Bethania, as she buffered up to the brake coach. "Thank you, Bethania." Edward replied, putting on his best sincere act. Bethania didn't notice, and whistled again, setting off back up the line to Crosby.