Chapter One

Harlow's POV:

It's a warm August day; I feel excited and nervous. I leave for the cruise today; I have never been on one before. Well, any boat, if I'm honest. I am nervous about who my roommate is; I hope they are nice to me and don't snore. I love sleep, so if it is being bothered, that is no good.

I'm just finishing off last-minute packing; like art supplies, these include sketch pads, pencils, and pens. I also pack my switch to play Stardew Valley while I'm away. In the game, I still need to pick who I want to marry; it's between Haley and Sebastian. Who should I choose?

I hear a knock on the door and know it's my mum because who else would it be? I call "come in". She smiles as she scans my room, which is a bit messy due to the packing, although I am still determining how it happened. "I see you are all packed, darling," she says, and I nod in response.

"I know you are most likely nervous about the trip, but make sure to have fun and make new memories. Just remember the breathing exercises we have always done to help you control yourself". She says.

"Mum, I know you are worried, but I will be fine, and if not, then you'll just have to cover up the murder", I joke, but she doesn't find it as funny. Just to note, I haven't killed anyone before, but people are always worried that I am going to lose control one day and go on a killing spree.

I should clarify that I'm a hybrid – witch and wolf – there aren't many hybrids around anymore, and if they are, they are always looked down upon. People worry about their power and what they can do. This does make sense; some hybrids are dangerous, but I would never intentionally hurt anyone.

The only people around me who aren't afraid are my mum and best friend, Charlotte Cromwell. We haven't known each other long but have grown close, especially in the last few months. 

I return to reality and begin to take my bags down with the help of my mum. Thankfully, she is taking me to the airport; I could have taken a bus with other students, but I didn't want to deal with that, especially all the noise.

Before we leave, I say goodbye to Bernard, who is our Chow Chow. I will miss my mum a lot, but especially Bernard. I love cuddling with him at night because he is so warm, especially in winter. You may wonder where on earth we got the name from; well, there is a Christmas movie called "The Santa Clause." The main elf is called Bernard, and I love that movie, so I named the dog after it (very original, I know).

After a dramatic goodbye, we leave for the airport. It didn't take long, which I am happy but also nervous about. I hope Charlotte is my roommate, but knowing my luck, it won't be her. However, I am praying it is her.

As we arrived at the airport, I exchanged my goodbyes with my mum. If she said to me to stay and not go, I would. I know this is dramatic, but we have such a good relationship, especially in the last year after my father passed away. After what happened, we did become closer because we had to; we needed each other, and I suppose we rely on each other a lot now, so it's going to be hard on both of us, but we can still communicate, so I guess that's something. The cruise has free international calls when using their phones, so I'm happy. (note: this is probably not true, but let's pretend it is)

I meet up with Charlotte in the airport; she is with her sister Luna. I don't know Luna well; I haven't spoken to her before, so I smile to be polite. Maybe I should say something to be nice, but as I'm about to speak up, she walks off. I'm glad I didn't say anything because I know I would have said something idiotic. I love embarrassing myself.

Charlotte and I get through airport security and everything else you do in an airport. I look for my seat on the plane and realise I'm stuck between Luna and another girl I don't know. They both look at me, and all I can think about is how awkward it may be. God save me.

The girl I don't know smiles as I sit down. I found out her name is Evelyn, which is a pretty name. She and Luna are beautiful; Luna has dark brown hair that almost looks black, and she also has blue eyes. She has a dark clothing style. I can see some tattoos on her arm as well.

On the other hand, Evelyn looks very proper, as if she was part of some royal family, but I don't think she is. She has lighter brown hair than Luna and pretty hazel eyes. Her clothes are more studious and look more expensive.

I currently have dark red hair (my natural is blonde but not too blonde. I suppose it has a hint of brown). I also have blue eyes like Luna, but there is a hint of brown in them. I feel a bit insecure, as usual, but I know I need to work on that.

I get comfortable in my seat to get ready for take-off. I go to take some medication that helps me relax while on planes as I usually feel sick and think of the worst scenario imaginable. However, I realise something, "shit" is all I say out loud, which catches the attention of Evelyn and Luna. 

Note: I forgot to say in the author's note, but this will be a slow burn (not sure how long it will take). Also, please keep in mind I haven't written a story in a long time, so if it's crap, I'm sorry, lol, but I will improve (hopefully).