•ONE•

July, 1983

July, 1983

It was almost the end of summer and there was nothing anyone could do about it. Eleven year old Amir was awfully dreading having to go back there as the hot days flew by.

Amir and his parents lived in New York, City in a calm neighborhood called Chelsea, the place where Amir met all his friends, the place were everyone stood together or for one another, the place were everyone gathered to have a good time. There was no other like Chelsea.

Amir currently was sitting on the Black Seventies plastic cover wrapped sofa that sat right in front of the living room window, staring.

Amir's mother Carmen made Amir stop doing what he was by clearing her throat one good time.

"Now Amir, how many times do I have to tell you to stop being so nosy huh?" Amir's mother Carmen, asked with her hands on her hip.

Amir looked up at his mother, turning his mouth sideways.

"Ma, I'm not even being nosy for real" Amir said smacking his lips looking back out the window.

Amir's father walked into the living room where his son and wife were. Pointing towards his son he said

"Watch it"

Carmen looked towards her husband's finger and swatted it.

"Michael go back in the kitchen and look at that pie please" She said rolling her eyes.

Amir continued to look out the window. Carmen sat beside her son and smiled. Soon she caught her son's attention.

"Baby how bout you walk with me to greet the neighbors since your daddy won't" She said.

Amir sighed.

"Ma please" He begged, that she would give in just so he wouldn't have to leave.

His mother stood up from the sofa.

"No debate, get up, put some shoes on and meet me by the door in Three minutes" She said smiling.

Amir hated that part of being a child. After going upstairs and finding a pair of sneakers to wear he went back downstairs and left out the door after his mother.

It was now noon so that meant dinner time was coming up due to Amir's growling stomach which only started due to the fresh sweet potato pie his mother was holding in her caramel hands.