Part 4: The Prize

Coriolanus

"Coryo, wake up," says a voice.

I wake suddenly, slightly disoriented from sleep.

"Coryo, wake up, you need to get dressed and ready. You're almost late".

"Tigris?" I question

"Yes, it's me now get up," she replies.

I pry myself from the bed and make my way over to the kitchen. I opened the fridge to see some cabbage leaves but left them for Grandma'am. I turn around, and Tigris holds an ivory button-up shirt with thin navy stripes over the breasts.

"I made sure to steam it before giving it to you. And don't lose any buttons because they were hard to get from the maid's bathroom," Tigris stated.

An appreciative smile grows on my face for the lengths she went to do this for me because we own not one steamer. Today is important because we will determine which student will receive the prize money based on academic achievements. I have worked hard for my grades, so there is a high possibility I'll get the prize money. I grab my waistcoat and head for the door, stepping outside into the uninviting cold. I walk to Heavensbee Hall and meet my peers, waiting for the reaping ceremony.

I talked with Clemensia and Arachne, and they turned the conversation towards the Plinth prize. Sejanus, heir to the Plinth fortune, had been an outsider to the other Capitol children at the Academy since he arrived ten years ago. He was hated for his rise to wealth as someone from the districts, a success story while many others in the Capitol struggled to recover. He grew to be my friend, but I can't help but hate how he still considers himself district. He had a life of privilege handed to him on a silver platter, and turned his nose at it.

Soon enough, we were called to the front of the room, where I sat next to Sejanus. While the other students find seats, Sejanus leans to my ear and whispers, "There is no prize money for academics; it's based on the best mentor." I freeze when I hear him say those words. Have I come this far for nothing? The chances of my mentee being weak are pretty high–my best bet would be with someone from 1 or 2 or maybe a boy from 4 or 11. My expectations are low. I don't know how to pay for university if I can't win.

When all students were seated, Dean Highbottom announced the introduction to the mentee distribution. In his speech, he reveals that there is no prize money based on academics but on best mentorship. People watch the games less often and need good mentors to keep things interesting.

I bite the inside of my cheek when I reconsider the stakes. I need the money for my family, estate, and education.

Being lost in thought got me through the rest of Highbottom's speech. He reads through a list, assigning each female and male tribute from each district to each of the other 23 mentors. My name happens to be called last, receiving the female tribute from District 12. She is wearing a ridiculous rag of a rainbow dress. I know the prize money is being given based on the best mentor, but that means the mentor of the winning tribute. I need to do everything I can to make that girl stand out, not only for external viewers but to have a shot at this prize money.