chapter 1

Nico's POV

Today was my first day as leader of my new pack.

My father, Hades, sent me off just yesterday. So far it had only been one night, but this was hard.

"King Nico!" Oh yeah, and they call me king. That was Rayna's voice.

"King Nico! We caught a human just outside camp!" She sounded exited.

"Reyna, I know you like humans, but this is bad! I just started this pack, and humans are already finding us! Bring it in. I need to figure out why it's here. And you can't eat it!" I called out as she left the building.

I sat down to think, but was interrupted by Reyna and Jason coming in. Then someone else entered.

He was male, wearing short clothing and he had blonde hair. His skin was covered in freckles, and had quickly stood up.

"Hello, should I call you your majesty?" He asked with a well practiced bow.

He definitely had respect and was quite dignified.

"For now, yes. And quit bowing. I've had people doing that all night. It's exhausting."

"Of course, your majesty." He said straightening up. I waved for Reyna and Jason to leave.

"Sit down." I ordered the human. He sat. "What's your name?"

"William Andrew Solace. But you can call me Will if you prefer." He spoke very politely. "Do you have a king of your little group of humans?" I asked.

"Yes, he's my father, but I ran away. I no longer serve him."

"Are there any other humans that know where we are?"

"I hope not. If they caught me it would be worse than getting eaten."

"Why did you run away?"

"My dad was trying to marry me off." He had a scornful look on his face. "Then when I said no to the lady, he offered me a prince. I don't even like guys, and when I had rejected them both he planned to force me into it. So I ran." He shrugged.

I thought for a moment, then got an idea. "I have a deal for you." I said. "We will keep you hidden, and you become my personal servant. If you say no, we eat you." I added with a glare.

I looked up to see that he had already been nodding. "Thank you so much! I have no practice in being a servant, but I hope I can help." He smiled.

What a wierd human. He seems interesting.

"In that case, follow me. You will be staying with me in my room. I need someone to speak with. Someone who won't constantly bow at me." I rolled my eyes and pointed to my bed.

"I only have one, but it should be big enough for the both of us. If you try anything I'll not hesitate to kill you."

"Are you sure? If I'm a servant now, should I really be sharing a bed with the king?" He seemed completely unfazed by my threats.

"I'm sure. I can keep better track of you this way."

"What time do we sleep?"

"Just before dinnertime for you humans. We always wake up at moonrise for the pack hunt. After that, we go back to sleep till sunrise." I explained.

It was pretty simple, and he was very polite about everything.

His stomach growled. "Um... when do you feed the servants?" He seemed embarrassed. As he should be.

"Most servants eat the leftovers while everyone else is out hunting. But since you're my personal servant, I will allow you to eat whenever you want. Remember, this is a privilege. If you break my trust in any way, you won't eat anything for two days, and you have to eat with and when the other servants do. Got it?" He nodded.