𝟏

Everything was perfect—even the half underground house which was the size of the bathroom of the house I used to live in

Everything was perfect—even the half underground house which was the size of the bathroom of the house I used to live in. The fact that I had to start work next week was also of no importance to me. I've finally escaped from the hell-like house I lived in and earned my freedom. Just that simple fact was enough to make me complacent with my life. But...

"I'm pretty sure I told you to live as quietly as a mouse without a fuss so not even the sound of your breathing can be heard." A frosty man spoke with a hateful gaze as if he was staring down at a hideous insect. "I heard that you acted like a mad dog at the crown prince's returning ceremony banquet."

His icy gaze filled with an almost murderous intent bore into me, reminding me of what I experienced in my old home. Despite experiencing it frequently, it was still agonizing every time; like a knife digging into my stomach.

"Why did you behave in such a manner?" he demanded.

I couldn't breathe. My lips started to tremble. It was at that moment, paralyzed in fear, that a white chart appeared in front of my face, illuminated with 3 options.

1. How should I know?

2. I didn't have a particular purpose.

3. *In a pitiful tone of voice* Well...um, that's...

...What the hell is this?

I was going to question the white bar that had miraculously appeared before me, but I couldn't make a sound due to the awful sensation that had lodged itself in my throat.

"You better speak," his voice was even harsher now as he stared at me, unforgiving and relentless.

I felt the deadly aura radiating off of him and that's when I realized...he wouldn't hesitate to kill me if I said the wrong thing.

I subconsciously pressed the number 3 on the white chart.

"Well...you see, that's..."

The same words on the chart automatically came out of my mouth without my will. My mouth opened again but to no avail, no words escaping after the idiotic statement I had just made. It was as if I had just woken up from a long rest. My brain couldn't think straight and being surrounded by these strange hostile people wasn't helping.

"Um... it's...well..." I kept stammering, unable to form a response.

The man was growing even more intolerant. "I don't have all day."

It was then that the new sentences appeared in the chart.

1. I'm sorry. I'll act properly next time.

2. A stupid maid was the one to start all the fuss.

3. Those lowly plebeians treated me with disrespect. I am the only daughter of Eckart!

I knew I had to pick something—it's not like time would freeze to wait patiently as I thought through what the best choice was. My past experiences had taught me what was best in situations like these, and I picked option 1.

"I'm sor-"

"I wouldn't have come to meet you in the first place if this was a matter that'd all be solved with a simple apology," he cut me off instantly, my heart dropping in my chest at the tone of voice he was using. "Penelope Eckart."

Penelope Eckart? The name was somehow familiar...

"We'll withdraw our family name from you for some time."

I raised my head abruptly to stare at the man's face clearly for the first time. He was standing at a distance from the bed I was sitting on, but he had blue eyes the color of the serene ocean waves and hair that was as black as obsidian. Above his head was a long bar that was similar to the battery you would see on a phone screen, the word 'favorability' was shining above his head. Favorability? Unless my eyes were playing tricks on me—which I was almost certain they weren't—then the sparkling white words above his head definitely said 'favorability'.

"There will definitely be no parties or banquets attended during that time, and you're prohibited from leaving the room. You best think over what you did wrong..." His words started to drown out as my situation dawned on me.

"What are you looking at?" his voice cut through my trance. His glare was replaced with a frown.

I couldn't respond due to my shock, just staring at the words flickering above his head. "The rumors claiming that you went insane were true after all." He glared at me for a moment due to my strange behavior before turning away. He walked toward the door swiftly as if being in the room was causing him severe brain loss. [Favorability 0%]

0%... What did I do that caused him to think that lowly of me?

At that moment I felt someone's mocking eyes on me. I turned my head to see another person with pink hair standing with his arms crossed in the shadow of the door.

He had the same blue eyes as the person who just left and a similar bar above his head. [Interest -10%]

How the fuck can his interest be negative? I didn't even know that was possible.

"Serves you right, you fucking bitch." his face contorted into a sneer as he followed the other man, slamming the door with a bang.

"This can't be real, right?" I voiced my thoughts aloud.

Penelope Eckart... She was the villainess of a mobile otome game that was incredibly popular right now and the protagonist of the game's 'hard mode.' I thought that this was just some stupid dream, but I pinched myself over and over again and I couldn't wake up.

What the hell...WHAT THE HELL?! I started to panic as I realized that there was no escape from the hell I was now living in.

I was Penelope Eckart.