𝙨𝙞𝙭

—True Love—

Persephone decided, as he was still gone when she sat across from Reaper again, that she wouldn't bring up her outburst to Coryo. She didn't need him to worry about the situation she had newfound control over. Everything was going to be okay.

She didn't notice the way Lucy Gray eyed her pale face glistening with sweat.

After the hour was up, both the Mentors and tributes were rounded and lined up in their corresponding pairs. Coriolanus was still missing as the Ignis girl swiveled her head around every few seconds to catch a glimpse of him as soon as possible. In the back of her mind, she was getting a little worried.

As they filed through, a certain District 12 girl slid up next to Persephone and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. "You alright? Saw you dash out the door and came back lookin' all sick."

"Yeah," Persephone only nodded, "I'm fine. Nothing to worry about."

Now, Lucy Gray Baird was not one to stick her nose in the business of others, but the way she brushed off any concern left her suspicious. And something was special about Lucy Gray—she could spot a lie like a needle in a haystack. Something told her she couldn't let Coriolanus not know of his best girl's little hiccup after he left.

"Capitolite." Reaper used her new nickname, mildly surprised she had responded to it. "What's the plan?"

She leaned closer to him and murmured a rough idea of how productive they could spend their time in the arena. "Look for places to go, places to turn to when you're cornered. Inspect every inch of the arena for the upper hand. Find advantages."

It was why they were granted a tour in the first place.

A shiver racked her spine as she took a prolonged look at the grand, stadium-like arena. Persephone, even watching the Games from the years prior, never got to witness the sheer scale of the battleground. In that moment, she was also reminded that for the District tributes around her, this was their deathbed.

With a gust of wind, Persephone only saw an Academy Rouge rush past her and the student's hand brushing over hers. She knew who it was with his gentle graze—her fingers chased after his, even after his ghost-like touch separated from their distance.

Her heart pounded as he left her utterly dizzy.

"Alright, let's go." The Peacekeeper, most likely in charge, nodded towards the rest of the soldiers.

At the front of the dual line, Lucy Gray leaned over to her Mentor and whispered, gaze involuntarily flickering to the girl a few rows back. "That girl you care about? Persephone? She done ran out for a few minutes after you left and came back in a cold sweat with a pale face. Asked her about it just now and she sweeped it under the rug. Got any idea what that's about?"