Action Comics # 1

INT. BALLROOM - NIGHT

WE OPEN ON: CLOSE and pan out on a bubbling glass of champagne being held up.

It's held by PERRY WHITE, editor-in-chief of the Daily Planet.

Perry is dressed in an old fashioned tux and is facing a group of other well dressed professionals.

He gives a wide celebratory smile and addresses the guests.

Perry

I was a kid when I became a copy boy for George Taylor at the Daily Star. One day I was in such a rush, I ran into him, spilling his coffee all over him and I thought he was going to fire me right there on the spot. He put his massive paw of a hand on my shoulder and said to me, "Son, with that kind of hustle, someday someone will spill coffee on you."

The guests chuckle.

PERRY

And now, forty-three years later, I'm the editor-in-chief of the highest read news network in the WORLD!

They applaud. Some take pictures.

PeRRY

And thanks to the Daily Planet, the printed word still has meaning, and the truth doesn't have to remain hidden! Which brings me to the reason we're all here:

(holds out his arm)

Ladies and gentlemen, Lois Lane!

The guests all applaud. A beautiful, radiant LOIS LANE approaches Perry, who uses his open arm to hug her. Her dark hair is up and she wears a red dress. She kisses him on the cheek. She smiles and waves thankfully. Perry steps over to the side while Lois takes over as the center of attention. A WAITER hands her a GLASS OF CHAMPAGNE.

Perry hands her a JOURNALISM AWARD, which she graciously accepts. They shake hands. He kisses her cheek.

Behind the crowd, a DOOR OPENS and CLARK KENT stumbles through. He adjusts his tie and hair, as if he just had to get dressed in a hurry. He straightens himself up and his eyes light up when he sees Lois getting applauded. He joins in with the applause and it dies down quickly just as he joins, leaving him a tad embarrassed, but still unnoticed.

Lois

(OS)

Thank you, Perry.

Clark walks towards the crowd and joins. Behind him, two large intimidating men in black suits enter and stand by the door. A WAITER happens to be walking by. One of the suited men, MITCHELL, grabs him and pulls him close.

Mitchell

Hey, you! I need you to do something for me.

Mitchell slips a HUNDRED DOLLAR BILL into the Waiter's pocket.

Cut back to:

The crowd.

LOIS

It's about damn time, too!

Everyone chuckles. Clark just smiles.

LoiS

It's a collaborative effort. As much as I'd like to take solo credit for this- and you know I do-

(crowd chuckles)

I wouldn't have made it this far without help from a very important person.

Slow zoom in on Clark.

Clark looks around and blushes.

LoiS

(OS)

Someone who not only gave me professional support, but moral support. Someone who stood by my side even in the scariest of times. He's new to the biz, but he's already got the drive, the determination, the fire of someone special. Unfortunately, he couldn't be here because it's a school night.