4 | stance

Catherine wasn't sure how to feel

Catherine wasn't sure how to feel. Her parents had stayed true to their words and tried to be in her life, be the parents she had always wanted. They sent letters and gifts everyday, hoping that she would just talk to them. Every gift they had sent was sent right back to them, they couldn't buy her affection nor did she want them to make up for not being there. They should have been there, they were parents after all. No child should ever have to beg for their parents love and affection. Every letter she had gotten from them, she had sent back with a message to not contact her but clearly they hadn't gotten the message.

"What are you going to do?"

Cathrine sighed as she snuggled closer to Alex, "Honestly, nothing. It took me a long time to realise they didn't care about me the same way I cared about them and that they never would. It took me being emancipated and becoming a Lady for them to realise that I stopped being their child. They don't get to choose when it's convenient for them to be in my life. I needed parents but they couldn't see that they had more than one child. I'm not going to let them worm their way into my life now that I have decided to stand up for myself. I'm happy and that has had nothing to do with them." As much as she loved her parents, she didn't need them in her life. She was going to chose herself, once and for all.

Alex pressed a kiss to her head, "I'm so proud of you. I know you love them but you deserve to be happy. Happy with people that want to be in your life for who you are, not for what you can do for them. Things haven't been easy for you in the last couple of years but I have never met anyone so strong. Despite everything thrown your way, you have taken it all and let it make you stronger. Hell, even my parents like you. I'm so proud of you." his parents had only refused his relationship with Cathrine because she wasn't of the same stature as him but now, they had no reason to refuse her and as long as he was happy, they didn't care who he was with. Alex had been pretty clear with his parents that he didn't care for her stature and that nothing was going to keep them apart, it had taken a while but they finally understood how much he cared for Cathrine.

"Thank you, you have no idea how good it feels to hear those words." Catherine spoke with tears in her eyes. All she had ever wanted as a kid was to be told she had made someone proud. She had worked so hard, both academically and athletically, but it was never good enough and she hated it. To know that the people that she cared about the most, had no care for what she did, hurt a lot.

"I'm always going to be here for you, nothing can keep me from you."

"I'm holding you to that, Malfoy."

"Can we talk?

"Can we talk?

Catherine scoffed as she gathered her books to leave the library, "We have nothing to talk about, Potter. Leave me alone." She knew it was only a matter of time before James came looking for her. Word had gotten around about Catherine's power and how strong she was in the Wizarding World. She had also gotten word that James was bragging about her being his sister, despite the fact every knew Catherine had wanted nothing to do with him. She hated him, but clearly all he wanted to do was use her to his advantage.

James grabbed her wrist, "I'm your brother. Why won't you talk to me?"

"I don't owe you anything. You have made it very clear that I mean nothing to you. You have spent years tormenting me with no regard to the damage it would cause me. How could I trust anyone when I couldn't trust my own brother? You have shown me the worst in humanity, you've shown me how horrible human beings can be. You don't care about anyone but yourself. You have done nothing but break me down constantly. I hate you, James Potter. I want absolutely nothing to do with you. Stay away from me." Catherine spat as she removed her wrist from his grasp. James looked at her in stunned silence. He couldn't believe that she hated him so much.

"What did I do?" James whispered. He could see the hatred she had in her eyes.

Catherine shook her head with an amused smile before glaring at him, "You have done nothing but torment me for years. Rubbed it in that my own parents didn't like me. You've torn me down mentally, emotionally and physically. I never thought my own brother would hurt me like that, I guess I was wrong. Now, all you want is the power and wealth that I have. The power and wealth that I worked hard for, endured and suffered for. You will not get your hands on my hard work. You are nothing to me, Potter."

"You don't mean that." James replied as he shook his head in disbelief. He didn't recognise the woman that was standing right in front of him. Catherine was his sister but he did admit that she had grown so much since he had really set eyes on her. She wasn't the little girl that was his baby twin, this was woman. A woman that had endured and suffered too much to care anymore.

Catherine scoffed, "I meant every word that I just said. You're nothing more than a coward, Potter. You take and take and don't care for the consequences. You don't care who you hurt as long as you get what you want. But I'm done being your pawn. You're not going to get anything that belongs to me. We're done, we mean nothing to each other."

"You don't mean that."

"I've never been more sure of anything."